Panel Discussion about Public Perceptions on Adoption of Agri BiotechMay 21, 2010
A panel discussion about the pubic perceptions and the impact of misperceptions regarding adoption of agricultural biotechnology was conducted by the Council for Biotechnology Information during the 2010 BIO International Convention in Chicago last May 5, 2010. The panel was composed of two journalists, a scientist, a farmer and a hunger advocate. During the discussion, food scientist Bruce Chassy, one of the panelists, tackled about the "education gap." He claimed that "better education" about the use of technologies in agriculture is needed by the public and policymakers so that they could arrive at informed and science-based decisions on biotechnology issues.
On the other hand, Seed Magazine editor Maywa Montenegro, another panelist, stressed the importance of promoting biotechnology for food security and sustainable agriculture. Ken Kamiya, a farmer from Hawaii, also shared his experience in planting papaya. He mentioned that when papaya industry was about to decline due to a destructive disease, GM papayas were introduced in their State and saved the industry. He claimed that agri biotechnology is advantageous for the economy and the environment.
More details are available at http://www.whybiotech.com/?p=2017.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Economic Crisis Threatens Agriculture in Europe and Asia
- BREAD Grants for Basic Agricultural Research
- Kenya Launches National Biosafety Authority Board
- Biosafety Law Translated in Local Languages of Burkina Faso
- Soil Bacteria and Fungi as Effective Bio-fertilizers
- Peruvian Scientist Gets Appeal from Supreme Court
- FDA Oks Use of Vistive Gold Soybean Oil
- Scientists Release Biocontrol for Waterhyacinth
- Implementing Holistic Food Policies: Strategy for Improving National Security
- Aphid's Chemical Signals as Biocontrol Agent Against Itself
- Panel Discussion about Public Perceptions on Adoption of Agri Biotech
- Monsanto Donates Seeds to Haiti
- Chinese Scientists Complete First Multi-crop Large-scale Evaluation of GM Ecological Impacts
- Social Responsibility in Promoting Transgenics
- New CIAT-HarvestPlus Office Inaugurated in India
- EFSA Oks GM Maize Varieties
- Optimal Ecology of Bioinsecticide
- Effects of Bt Corn on the Reproduction of Non-target Pest Corn Leafhopper
- Biological Clock Controls Carbohydrate Metabolism in Arabidopsis at night
- Developing DNA Markers of Rice Blast Resistance Gene Locus
- International Seminar on Horticulture to Support Food Security 2010
- ISAAA Releases Two New Videos on "Biotech Agriculture"
- BioLatina 2010 in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- International Biotech Seminar and the 5th KBI Congress 2010
- TERI-ITEC Biosafety Training Program for African Nationals
- CBU Feedback Survey
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: