New CIAT-HarvestPlus Office Inaugurated in IndiaMay 21, 2010
The newest office of International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)-HarvestPlus was finally inaugurated last May 12 at the campus of Patancheru near Hyderabad, India. Harrie Hendrickx, Head of Product Delivery for HarvestPlus, said that the new office aims to support seed companies and develop staple crops that are rich in micronutrients, particularly the pearl millet which is the reason why HarvestPlus is now in ICRISAT. This is in line with Harvest Plus' goal of relieving malnutrition in Asia and in Africa.
Dr. William D. Dar, the Director General of International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) which hosts the new office, noted the importance of forging partnerships between different organizations to advance agriculture. He said, "No one can do it alone and ICRISAT is the living proof for showcasing partnerships for agricultural development."
On the other hand, The press release of HarvestPlus is available at http://www.harvestplus.org/content/ciat-harvestplus-office-icrisat-inaugurated.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Economic Crisis Threatens Agriculture in Europe and Asia
- BREAD Grants for Basic Agricultural Research
- Kenya Launches National Biosafety Authority Board
- Biosafety Law Translated in Local Languages of Burkina Faso
- Soil Bacteria and Fungi as Effective Bio-fertilizers
- Peruvian Scientist Gets Appeal from Supreme Court
- FDA Oks Use of Vistive Gold Soybean Oil
- Scientists Release Biocontrol for Waterhyacinth
- Implementing Holistic Food Policies: Strategy for Improving National Security
- Aphid's Chemical Signals as Biocontrol Agent Against Itself
- Panel Discussion about Public Perceptions on Adoption of Agri Biotech
- Monsanto Donates Seeds to Haiti
- Chinese Scientists Complete First Multi-crop Large-scale Evaluation of GM Ecological Impacts
- Social Responsibility in Promoting Transgenics
- New CIAT-HarvestPlus Office Inaugurated in India
- EFSA Oks GM Maize Varieties
- Optimal Ecology of Bioinsecticide
- Effects of Bt Corn on the Reproduction of Non-target Pest Corn Leafhopper
- Biological Clock Controls Carbohydrate Metabolism in Arabidopsis at night
- Developing DNA Markers of Rice Blast Resistance Gene Locus
- International Seminar on Horticulture to Support Food Security 2010
- ISAAA Releases Two New Videos on "Biotech Agriculture"
- BioLatina 2010 in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- International Biotech Seminar and the 5th KBI Congress 2010
- TERI-ITEC Biosafety Training Program for African Nationals
- CBU Feedback Survey
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: