Philippines Approves Bt Cotton for Commercial PropagationSeptember 6, 2023
The Philippine Bureau of Plant Industry issued a Biosafety Permit for the Commercial Propagation of Bt cotton (GFM cry1A) developed by the Philippine Fiber Industry Development Authority (PhilFIDA). The permit was granted to PhilFIDA after completion of the biosafety evaluation and the requirements for commercial propagation based on the DOST-DA-DENR-DOH-DILG Joint Department Circular (JDC) No. 1, Series of 2021. BPI issued the permit on August 24, 2023, and announced the approval on their website.
Bt cotton contains the Bt fusion gene, GFM cry1A, produced based on the protein template of Cry1Ab and Cry1Ac proteins from Bacillus thuringiensis. The Bt fusion gene confers resistance to bollworm infestation. Field trials have shown that this transformation leads to more harvestable bolls and reduces the use of pesticides. The increased cotton yield is projected to enhance the income of cotton farmers and provide more job opportunities, particularly the additional need for cotton pickers.
Visit the BPI website for more information.
You might also like:
- Biotech Crop Annual Update: Cotton
- Cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) GM Events (67 Events)
- 92% Cotton, 90% Corn Areas in the US Produced with GE Seeds
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- Stakeholders Support Commercial Cultivation of GM Cowpea in Ghana
- Philippines Approves Bt Cotton for Commercial Propagation
- COGEM Concludes Stacked GM Cotton T304-40 x GHB119 x COT102 Does Not Pose an Environmental Risk in the Netherlands
- Best-bet Communication Approaches on New Breeding Technologies Proposed at ABBC2023
- ISAAA and DA-FBC Educated Stakeholders About Mudfish Spawning Technology
- Biotech Company Launches Plant-Based Casein
- Study Highlights Impact of GE Crops in Global Agri Output
- Scientists Map Key Part of SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein
- Researchers Develop PCR-based Blood Diagnostic Test for Parkinson's Disease
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: