HB4® Wheat Receives Approval in ParaguayJuly 12, 2023
HB4® wheat has received approval in Paraguay, according to the Instituto de Biotecnologia Agricola (INBIO). This approval allows the introduction of the HB4® event to wheat improvement programs so that in four to five years, wheat varieties will be ready to be produced and commercialized for their seeds.
As a genetically modified crop, HB4® wheat went through a thorough risk assessment process for commercial planting in Paraguay, including environmental, human and animal nutrition, and safety aspects. The approval process is comparative with its non-genetically modified counterpart.
The results of these studies were submitted to various regulatory agencies. During the evaluation process, the required additional studies were carried out, and all of them confirmed the safety of HB4® wheat. In addition to drought tolerance, HB4 wheat is also tolerant to the herbicide glufosinate ammonium, a technology that has been used safely for 20 years.
For more details, read the article in INBIO News (in Spanish).
You might also like:
- Brazil Approves Drought Tolerant HB4® Wheat for Commercialization and Cultivation
- HB4® Wheat Gets Approval in Australia and New Zealand
- Argentina First in the World to Approve Drought Tolerant HB4® Wheat
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- ISAAA Launches Pinoy Biotek Resource Page
- Researchers Pinpoint Gene that Could Help Cucumbers Survive Climate Change
- HB4® Wheat Receives Approval in Paraguay
- New Zealand Expands Research on GM Grasses
- ISAAA Inc. to Hold ASCA6 on September 11-15 in Indonesia
- CRISPR Used to Decrease the Population of Malaria-Spreading Mosquitoes
- Future Science Leaders Take Part in the 2nd Animal Biotechnology Stakeholder Consultation in PH
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: