Policy Brief Tackles Field Evaluations of Gene Drive OrganismsMarch 22, 2023
ISAAA Inc., in partnership with the Outreach Network for Gene Drive Research, released a new policy brief that discusses field evaluations of gene drive organisms. The policy brief, titled Field Evaluations of Gene Drive Organisms, is the third in the series of policy briefs that aim to present proposed policy options and impacts that address issues relating to gene drive technology.
The following questions were answered in the third policy brief:
- Key considerations before proposing a field evaluation involving an experimental release
- Field release preparation and design
- Field release approval and oversight
- Policy recommendations
According to the policy brief, field evaluations are needed to understand the performance, spread, and persistence of a gene drive organism in a given environment. Several field evaluations of different designs and sizes might be needed to demonstrate the effectiveness of a proposed application. Field evaluations for proposed gene drive applications are part of a multi-phase research process and will inform several important considerations that researchers must address to prepare for an experimental release, including safety and impacts, acceptability for affected stakeholders, and the logistics of its implementation.
To learn more about the field evaluations for gene drive organisms, download and read the policy brief from the ISAAA Inc. website.
You might also like:
- What are the Different Types of Gene Drive?
- New Policy Brief Calls for Science-based and Case-by-case Risk Assessment of Gene Drives
- Policy Brief Presents Environmental, Socio-economic, and Health Impact Assessment for Gene Drive Organisms
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- Researchers Unlock Genetic Clusters for Improved Nitrogen Use Efficiency and Grain Protein in Wheat
- Domestic Biotech Innovations to Aid Philippine Agri and Aquaculture
- Gene-edited Crops: Enabling Future Commercialisation and Trade
- B-SAFE Webinar Series: Opportunities and Benefits of Aquaculture/Fishery Biotechnology to the Philippine Aquaculture/Fishery Industry
- Policy Brief Tackles Field Evaluations of Gene Drive Organisms
- AI Helps Generate Protein-based Fat Alternative
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (June 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: