India's GEAC Recommends the Environmental Release of GM Mustard DMH-11November 2, 2022
During the 147th meeting of India's Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) held on October 18, 2022, chaired by Shri Naresh Pal Gangwar, Additional Additional Secretary of MoEF&CC, the Committee recommended the environmental release of genetically modified (GM) mustard in the country.
The recommendation was made for Dhara Mustard Hybrid-11 (DMH-11), a GM hybrid variety of mustard developed by Dr. Deepak Pental, the ex-Vice Chancellor of the University of Delhi. The mustard DMH-11 hybrid variety was developed at the Centre for Genetic Manipulation of Crop Plants (CGMCP), University of Delhi South Campus. The transgenic mustard hybrid DMH-11 uses parental lines bn 3.6 carrying barnase and bar genes, and modbs 2.99 containing barstar and bar genes.
In their recommendations, the Committee states that the environmental release of mustard hybrid DMH-11 for its seed production and testing is as per existing ICAR guidelines and other extant rules/regulations prior to commercial release. One of the conditions for this recommendation states that the approval is for a limited period of four years from the date of issue of the approval letter and is renewable for two years at a time based on the compliance report.
For more details, read the Minutes of the 147th Meeting of the GEAC.
You might also like:
- Indian Agricultural Economists Support GM Mustard Commercialization
- Petition Calls for Indian Government to Approve GM Mustard
- India Develops Mustard Hybrid
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists Sequence Honeycrisp Apple Genome
- Australia's OGTR Invites Comments on Commercial Import and Distribution of GM Chrysanthemum
- Prospects of Purple Tomato in Australia
- ISAAA Webinar: Research and Development of Biotech Crops in the Philippines
- India's GEAC Recommends the Environmental Release of GM Mustard DMH-11
- Research Team Presents Circadian Clock Insights that Could be Key to Increased Wheat Yield
- UK’s Precision Breeding Bill Enters House of Lords
- Breakthrough in Panama Disease Control in Bananas
- Drought-tolerant Sugarcane Performs Well in Chinese Field Trials
- Rice Genes Reveal Alternative Sources of Rice Blast Resistance
- CRISPR Technology Market to Drive More Business Opportunities
- Government Regulations Affect Public Perception on Gene-edited Crops -Study
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 29, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 22, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: