What are TALENs?January 6, 2021
Plants are constantly exposed to various biotic and abiotic stresses. Thus, scientists continue to develop tools that help improve the field of plant breeding. These new tools and practices are referred to as plant breeding innovations, which include transcription activator-like effector nucleases (TALENs), clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR), zinc-finger nucleases (ZFNs), and homing endonucleases or meganucleases.
CRISPRs have become the most popular of the genome editing techniques. Yet, TALENS are extremely precise and have additional capabilities, such as targeting any DNA sequence, discriminating between methylated and unmethylated DNA targets, and modifying DNA within organelles such as mitochondria.
Download Plant Breeding Innovation: TALENs (Pocket K No. 59) to know more.
Pocket Ks are Pockets of Knowledge, peer-reviewed and packaged information on crop biotechnology products and related issues which are available for download from the ISAAA website and optimized for printing or mobile use. Pocket K No. 59 was developed with 2Blades Foundation.
You might also like:
- Genome Editing in Potato using TALENs Delivered via Agroinfiltration
- Scientists Use TALENs for Targeted Genome Editing of Potato
- TALENs Used for Genome Editing of an Algal Biodiesel Candidate
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- Fast-spreading SARS-CoV-2 Variant in the U.K. Raises More Questions
News from Around the World
- ISAAA Presents 2019 Biotech Adoption Findings to Stakeholders in Europe and South America
- UBIC Builds NARO Anti-tick Vaccine Team's Capacity for Biosafety Compliance
- CIMMYT Announces Fall Armyworm Tolerant Maize Hybrids for Africa
- Researchers Find Flag Leaves Top Off Rice Photosynthetic Performance
- USDA APHIS Deregulates GE Corn with Enhanced Yield and Herbicide Tolerance Traits
- Price, Nutrition Among Top Factors that Affect Canadian Consumers' Choice to Buy GM Foods
- Scientists Boost Vegetable Oil Production in Plant Leaves
- CSIRO "Gene Sandwich" to Boost Wheat Resistance to Rust
- Bt Cotton Key in Eradicating Destructive Pest from the US and Mexico
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Target-AID and CRISPR-Cas9 Improve Lycopene Content in Tomatoes
- What are TALENs?
Subscribe to CBU: