EFSA Releases Scientific Opinion on GM Oilseed Rape Ms8 x Rf3 x GT 73August 5, 2020
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) Panel on Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO Panel) has released a statement complementing the EFSA Scientific Opinion on an application for placing on the market of genetically modified (GM) oilseed rape Ms8 × Rf3 × GT 73 and subcombinations, which have not been authorized previously.
The GMO Panel has previously assessed oilseed rape Ms8 × Rf3 × GT 73 and its subcombinations Ms8 x GT 73 and Rf3 x GT 73 according to the scope as defined in the application EFSA‐GMO‐NL‐2009‐75, and was not in the position to complete the safety assessment of products rich in protein, such as rapeseed protein isolates or products of this nature in animal feeding. Following a mandate from the European Commission, the GMO Panel assessed a 28‐day toxicity study in mice with the glyphosate oxidoreductase (GOX v247) protein, provided to complement information related to the application for the placing on the market of oilseed rape Ms8 × Rf3 × GT 73 and its subcombinations Ms8 x GT 73 and Rf3 x GT 73, for food and feed uses, import and processing, with the exception of isolated seed protein for food. The study was conducted in accordance with OECD TG 407 and with the principles of Good Laboratory Practice. No adverse effects were observed in the study.
Taking into account its previous assessment on EFSA‐GMO‐NL‐2009‐75 and the outcome of the 28‐day toxicity study, the GMO Panel, based on a weight of evidence approach, concludes that food and feed containing, consisting, and produced from GM oilseed rape Ms8 x Rf3 x GT73 and its subcombinations Ms8 x GT73 and Rf3 x GT73, are as safe as its conventional counterpart, according to the scope as defined in the application EFSA‐GMO‐NL‐2009‐75.
For more details, read the scientific opinion in the EFSA Journal.
You might also like:
- EFSA Releases Scientific Opinion on Oilseed Rape MS11
- EFSA: No Scientific Evidence on Environmental Risks of GM Oilseed Rape Ms8, Rf3, Ms8 x Rf3, and GT73
- MS8 x RF3 x GT73 (RT73) in ISAAA GM Approval Database
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Svalbard Global Seed Vault Starts a Century-long Seed Experiment
- Nigerians Ready to Know More About GM Crops
- Study Shows Plants Regulate Growth-Inhibiting Hormones to Survive
- EFSA Releases Scientific Opinion on GM Oilseed Rape Ms8 x Rf3 x GT 73
- Gene Inserted in Tobacco Plant Sheds Light to Increased Heat Stress Resistance
- Overexpression of Atsob3-6 Gene Variant Improves Seed Size, Seed Weight and Seedling Emergence in Camelina
- OsABCI7 and OsHCF222 Interaction Stabilizes Rice Thylakoid Membrane
- Gene Editing Breakthrough Seen to Improve Breeding of Barley Crops
- Researchers Map Largest, Most Complex CRISPR System
- Webinar: The Challenges of Communicating about Gene Technologies
- More Countries Join the COVID-19 Food Coalition
- Study Finds SARS-CoV-2 Has Six Strains
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: