Biotech Crop Area Reaches 2.5 Billion Hectares in 23 YearsOctober 23, 2019
High adoption of biotech crops continued in 2018, according to the ISAAA Report, Global Status of Commercialized Biotech/GM Crops in 2018. On the 23rd year of commercial cultivation of biotech crops, 26 countries grew 191.7 million hectares of biotech crops, bringing the accumulated biotech crop area to 2.5 billion hectares, a ~113-fold increase since 1996, the first year of commercial planting of biotech crops. This makes biotech crops the fastest crop technology adopted in recent times.
The total area of 191.7 million hectares in 2018 were grown by 26 countries, 21 developing and 5 industrial countries. Developing countries led by Brazil planted 54% of the total biotech crop area, while the industrial countries led by the USA planted the remaining 46%. An additional 44 countries imported biotech crops for food, feed, and processing, bringing the total number of countries that adopted biotech crops to 70.
Learn more about biotech crops adoption in 2018, download and read the booklet Beyond Promises: Facts about Biotech/GM Crops in 2018.
You might also like:
- Biotech Crops Continue to Help Meet the Challenges of Increased Population and Climate Change
- ISAAA Brief 54 Executive Summary
- ISAAA Brief 54 Infographics
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Biotech Crop Area Reaches 2.5 Billion Hectares in 23 Years
- Genetic Engineering Helps Increase Availability of Improved Organic Seeds
- Secrets to Insect Adaption to Climate Change Uncovered in the European Corn Borer Moth
- First Argentine GM Potato to be Released in 2020
- PABIC, University of Agriculture Faisalabad Conduct Seminar to Assess Food Security, Malnutrition, and Biotech in Pakistan
- Partnership and Innovation for Food and Economic Security and Environmental Security for the Region
- Australian Scientists Develop New Method to Produce Drought-Resilient Wheat Quickly, Cheaply, and Accurately
- Researchers Develop Dwarf Maize with Better Yielding Capacity by Controlling Gibberellin Levels
- GM Soybean with Cry8-like Gene Exhibit Resistance to Insect Pest
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Scientists Highlight Responsible Advancement, Safe Use of Synthetic Biology
- North America Genome Editing Market Projected to Reach US$ 4,000 Mn by 2025
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (August 3, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (August 10, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (July 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: