Improved Levels of ZmACD6 Confers Resistance to Corn SmutAugust 14, 2019
Developing broad-spectrum resistance is one of the main objectives of crop breeding but more investigation is needed to reveal the molecular mechanisms involved in this process. ACCELERATED CELL DEATH6 (ACD6) in Arabidopsis thaliana is a key component of broad-spectrum resistance. However, the role of ACD6 remains unclear in crop plants. Thus, Agricultural University of Hebei scientists and partners studied one of the ACD6-like genes (ZmACD6) in maize using the CRISPR-Cas9 system.
CRISPR-Cas9-generated maize mutants with knocked out ZmACD6 showed higher susceptibility to corn smut compared to wild-type plants. They also identified a maize line (SC-9) which exhibited higher levels of ZmACD6 expression, better resistance to corn smut and defense activation.Based on the findings, overexpression of ACD6-like genes could be a practical approach to develop better crop varieties with improved disease resistance.
Read the research article in Plant Signaling & Behavior.
You might also like:
- Transgenic Maize Express Totivirus Antifungal Protein for Corn Smut Resistance
- Impact Assessment of GMO of Plant Origin on Rat Progeny Devt in Three Generations
- Pocket K No. 54: Plant Breeding Innovation: CRISPR-Cas9
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- OFAB Nigeria Takes Biotechnology Awareness to Schools
- Avocado Genome Has Been Sequenced
- USDA Approves Verdeca's HB4® Drought Tolerant Soybeans
- New Zealand Scientific Body Pushes for GE Regulation Update
- EFSA Releases Scientific Opinion on Five-Event Stack GM Maize
- Rothamsted Research Responds to UK PM's Pledge on GM Crops
- Expression of Rice Galactinol Synthase Gene in Maize
- Parasitic Plants Get a Boost from Stolen Genes
- OsNramp5 Mutation Affects Cd Accumulation and Agronomic Traits in Rice
- Improved Levels of ZmACD6 Confers Resistance to Corn Smut
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: