Sweetpotato Enzymes Expressed in Arabidopsis Revealed Additional Functions of VEPsMay 22, 2019
Vacuolar processing enzymes (VPEs) have been found to be involved in several key biological processes in plants particularly in programmed cell death, plant development, and responses to biotic and abiotic stresses, in part because of its similarities with apoptosis regulator caspase-1. A study published in BMC Plant Biology shows that VPE also plays a role in sucrose accumulation and fruit ripening.
Scientists from Jiangsu Normal University, China, assessed the functions of VPE from sweetpotato, first in expression pattern analyses of IbVPE1 during development and senescence. Overexpression of IbVPE1 in Arabidopsis led to reduced leaf sizes and numbers and early flowering, and further elucidated the molecular processes involved.
The results of the study showed the functions of the VPE gene family in development and senescence and in regulation of flowering times, leaf sizes and numbers, and senescence phenotypes in Arabidopsis.
Read the research article in BMC Plant Biology.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- University of Michigan Puts Spotlight on Smarter Food Systems to Attain Zero Hunger
- Ethiopian Women in Biosciences Trained on Science Communication
- Software Locates Sugarcane Genes of Interest
- Scientists Use Open-Source Genetic Analysis Method in Plant Cells for the First Time
- Technology to Measure Plant Improvements Helps Boost Production
- US to Help Pakistan Introduce GE Corn
- UC Professor Emerita Emphasizes on Gene Editing to Achieve Sustainability Needs
- Scientists Discover RNA Controlling Tuber Formation in Potatoes
- Iron-rich GM Wheat Set to Undergo Field Trials
- Sweetpotato Enzymes Expressed in Arabidopsis Revealed Additional Functions of VEPs
- Research Shows How Transposon Insertion Confers Resistance to Bt Cotton in Pink Bollworm
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Experts Use CRISPR-Cpf1 for Cotton Genome Editing
- Successful Deletion of Rice Retrotransposon Using CRISPR-Cas9
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Sequence Charleston Gray Watermelon
Subscribe to CBU: