Researchers Find Gene for Manganese Tolerance in RiceJuly 11, 2018
Metal tolerance proteins (MTPs) belong to the cation diffusion facilitator family (CDF) and are involved in metal transport and homeostasis in different plant species. A group of researchers from Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del Instituto Politécnico Nacional in Mexico studied a rice gene OsMTP11, which encodes a suspected CDF transporter that is homologous to members of the Mn-CDF cluster.
The team, led by Aarón Barraza, found that the expression of OsMTP11 in the Mn-sensitive yeast mutant pmr1 enhanced its manganese (Mn) tolerance. On the other hand, knockdown of OsMTP11 resulted in growth inhibition under high concentrations of Mn as well as increased accumulation of Mn in rice shoots and roots.
The overexpression of OsMTP11 in rice was found to enhance the plants' Mn tolerance. Under a toxic level of Mn, the overexpressing rice lines exhibited decreased Mn concentrations in their shoots and roots. Further analysis revealed that the OsMTP11 protein is localized to the trans-Golgi network (TGN).
These findings suggest that OsMTP11 is a Mn transporter that is required for Mn homeostasis and contributes towards Mn tolerance in rice.
For more information, read the article in Plant Science.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Journalist and Experts Promote Biotech to Attain Food Security
- Birthplace of African Rice Domestication Found in Mali
- American Soybean Association Requests Accurate Bioengineered Food Labeling
- LibertyLink® GT27™ Soybeans Commercialized in the U.S.
- Public Consultations Set for Golden Rice Field Trials
- Scientists Discover Genetic Resistance to Wheat Fungal Disease
- Int'l Research Team Finds New Receptor Used in Symbiosis between Legumes and Rhizobia
- JIC Study on Rice Blast Pathogen Elucidates Plant-pathogen Co-evolution
- Rice MicroRNA Improves Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Creeping Bentgrass
- Researchers Find Gene for Manganese Tolerance in Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Study Explains Auxin's Role in Rice Root Proliferation
- GS9 Regulates Rice Grain Shape and Appearance
- Researcher Uses CRISPR-Cas9 as Immune System for Plants
- CRISPR-Edited Tobacco Produces Improved Proteins for Pharmaceutical Use
- Genome Editing in Agriculture: Methods, Applications, and Governance
From the BICs
- SABC & ICRISAT Recommend Measures to Boost PPP in Agriculture Research
- BioTaiwan 2018
- Author Shares Journey from Anti-GMO Activism to GMO Advocacy at Talking Biotech Podcast
Subscribe to CBU: