Genome Editing in Agriculture: Methods, Applications, and GovernanceJuly 11, 2018
The Council for Agricultural Science and Technology (CAST) released an Issue Paper titled Genome Editing in Agriculture: Methods, Applications, and Governance. CAST explains that genome editing is a powerful new method that enables unprecedented control over genetic material and offers the opportunity to make rapid advances that influence agricultural practices. Thus, the issue paper addresses the concept by explaining the following topics:
- how genome editing is performed,
- what types of edits can be made,
- how the process relates to traditional breeding and other means of genetic modification,
- what potential limitations may arise with this approach, and
- what current factors affect the governance of gene editing.
Although much remains to be learned, it is clear that successful development of genome editing for crop and livestock improvement will benefit from science-informed, value-attentive regulation that promotes both innovation and transparency. The new resource aimed at providing a conceptual and knowledge-based foundation for regulatory agencies, policymakers, private and public research institutions, industry, and the general public.
Download a copy of the report from the CAST website.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Journalist and Experts Promote Biotech to Attain Food Security
- Birthplace of African Rice Domestication Found in Mali
- American Soybean Association Requests Accurate Bioengineered Food Labeling
- LibertyLink® GT27™ Soybeans Commercialized in the U.S.
- Public Consultations Set for Golden Rice Field Trials
- Scientists Discover Genetic Resistance to Wheat Fungal Disease
- Int'l Research Team Finds New Receptor Used in Symbiosis between Legumes and Rhizobia
- JIC Study on Rice Blast Pathogen Elucidates Plant-pathogen Co-evolution
- Rice MicroRNA Improves Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Creeping Bentgrass
- Researchers Find Gene for Manganese Tolerance in Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Study Explains Auxin's Role in Rice Root Proliferation
- GS9 Regulates Rice Grain Shape and Appearance
- Researcher Uses CRISPR-Cas9 as Immune System for Plants
- CRISPR-Edited Tobacco Produces Improved Proteins for Pharmaceutical Use
- Genome Editing in Agriculture: Methods, Applications, and Governance
From the BICs
- SABC & ICRISAT Recommend Measures to Boost PPP in Agriculture Research
- BioTaiwan 2018
- Author Shares Journey from Anti-GMO Activism to GMO Advocacy at Talking Biotech Podcast
Subscribe to CBU: