Rice MicroRNA Improves Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Creeping BentgrassJuly 11, 2018
MicroRNA393 (miR393) is known to be involved in plant growth, development, and multiple stress responses in annual plants such as Arabidopsis and rice. However, the role of miR393 in perennial grasses remains unexplored. Understanding the role of miR393 functions in a turf species such as the economically important creeping bentgrass (Agrostis stolonifera) would allow genetic modification for improved abiotic stress tolerance.
The team of Junming Zhao from Clemson University in USA has developed a transgenic creeping bentgrass line overexpressing the rice Osa‐miR393a. The transgenic lines exhibited fewer, but longer tillers, and enhanced drought stress tolerance due to reduced stomata density and denser cuticles. It also displayed improved salt stress tolerance due to increased uptake of potassium and enhanced heat stress tolerance due to induced expression of small heat‐shock proteins.
The results revealed the distinctive roles of miR393 in plant development and stress responses in creeping bentgrass. miR393 would be a promising candidate for developing improved crop cultivars with enhanced multiple stress tolerance.
For more information, read the article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Journalist and Experts Promote Biotech to Attain Food Security
- Birthplace of African Rice Domestication Found in Mali
- American Soybean Association Requests Accurate Bioengineered Food Labeling
- LibertyLink® GT27™ Soybeans Commercialized in the U.S.
- Public Consultations Set for Golden Rice Field Trials
- Scientists Discover Genetic Resistance to Wheat Fungal Disease
- Int'l Research Team Finds New Receptor Used in Symbiosis between Legumes and Rhizobia
- JIC Study on Rice Blast Pathogen Elucidates Plant-pathogen Co-evolution
- Rice MicroRNA Improves Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Creeping Bentgrass
- Researchers Find Gene for Manganese Tolerance in Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Study Explains Auxin's Role in Rice Root Proliferation
- GS9 Regulates Rice Grain Shape and Appearance
- Researcher Uses CRISPR-Cas9 as Immune System for Plants
- CRISPR-Edited Tobacco Produces Improved Proteins for Pharmaceutical Use
- Genome Editing in Agriculture: Methods, Applications, and Governance
From the BICs
- SABC & ICRISAT Recommend Measures to Boost PPP in Agriculture Research
- BioTaiwan 2018
- Author Shares Journey from Anti-GMO Activism to GMO Advocacy at Talking Biotech Podcast
Subscribe to CBU: