Candidate Gene for Drought Tolerance Found in WheatMay 30, 2018
The calcineurin B-like protein (CBL)-interacting protein kinase (CIPK) signaling pathway responds to various abiotic stresses in plants. The research team of Xiao-Yu Cui and Yong-Tao Du from the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences studied the CIPK23 gene from wheat (Triticum aestivum).
The wheat CIPK23 was found to be induced by multiple abiotic stresses including drought, salt, and abscisic acid (ABA). The TaCIPK23-overexpression wheat and Arabidopsis lines showed higher survival rates under drought conditions as well as enhanced germination rates, developed root system, and reduced water loss rate.
Analysis revealed that overexpression of TaCIPK23 made transgenic plants ABA sensitive, as evidenced by the delayed seed germination and the induction of stomatal closure. Consistent with the ABA-sensitive phenotype, the expression level of drought- and ABA-responsive genes were also increased under drought conditions in the transgenic plants.
These results suggest that TaCIPK23 plays vital roles in ABA and drought stress responses in wheat.
For more information, read the article in BMC Plant Biology.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO: Incorporating Biodiversity as a Priority in Agri Can Yield Multiple Benefits
- African Countries Need to Push Climate Smart Agriculture
- Researchers Engineer Cell-Like Structure for Photosynthesis
- Golden Rice Gets Approval from US FDA
- Special Screening of Documentary on GMOs held for Legislators in the Philippines
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion on GM Maize 4114
- Gene from Taro Confers Aphid Resistance in Indian Mustard
- Endogenous Proteins Expression in Maize Tested in a Multi-Location Fields in India
- Candidate Gene for Drought Tolerance Found in Wheat
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Chinese Researchers Develop Herbicide Tolerant Watermelon
- Scientists Find Resistance Gene Against Rice Blast
- SDG8 Genes Involved in Floral Transition in Rapeseed
- CRISPR Editing Tested on Carotenoid Synthesis Genes in Tomato
Beyond Crop Biotech
- New Arabica Coffee Genome Sequence Made Available
- Transgenic Pigs that Digest Grains Better can Reduce Pork Industry's Carbon Footprint
- Conversations on Climate Change
- Workshop on Marker Assisted Breeding in Oilseed Mustard
- Video: Uganda's GMO Potato Story
Subscribe to CBU: