USDA FAS-GAIN Reports Agri-biotech Updates in PakistanApril 4, 2018
The USDA FAS Global Agricultural Information Network (GAIN) released updates on the status of agricultural biotechnology in Pakistan.
According to the report, Pakistan continues to make significant progress towards the implementation of a complete biotechnology and seed regulatory structure which is expected to drive the introduction of new seed technologies. The 2005 Federal Biosafety Rules, which approve applications of introduction of new technologies, resumed operation in 2016 after a four-year hiatus, and then continued into 2017. There were new rules implemented in 2016, which involve the private sector. Additional rules are currently being drafted for an intellectual property regulation.
To date, only two biotech cotton events are commercialized for planting in the country, which was informally introduced a number of years ago. The report concluded that Pakistan is a vital importer, exporter, and producer of biotech cotton.
Read the report from USDA FAS-GAIN.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Agribiotech Can Unlock Business Opportunities in Africa
- High Hopes as Uganda's Biotech Bill Gets 'Second Chance'
- Scientists Publish Additional Soybean Reference Genomes
- Australian Vine Helps Boost Soybean Yield
- CAS Researchers Discover Evidence of the Beginning Rice Cultivation
- USDA FAS-GAIN Reports Agri-biotech Updates in Pakistan
- Genome Archaeologists Uncover Origin of Plant Hormone Auxin
- The Royal Society Report Says UK Public Cautiously Optimistic about Genetic Technologies
- Sugar Transporters in Tea Plants Also Involved in Plant Response to Stresses
- GhPEPC2 Gene Regulates Seed Oil Accumulation in Cotton
- Researchers Find Gene Regulating Plant Growth and Pest Resistance in Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Engineering Yeast to Make Non-Narcotic Cough Suppressant
- Animal Scientist Highlights Role of Genetic Modification in Livestock Health, Growth and Well-being
- 2018 IPBO Conference
- Researchers Study Morphological Impact of ERECTA Genes in Rice Using CRISPR
- Gene Promoter Used to Optimize CRISPR for Targeted Genome Editing in Maize
- Chinese Scientists Perform Gene Replacement in Rice
- US Agriculture Secretary Issues USDA Statement on Plant Breeding Innovation
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: