Filipino Farmers Await Bt Eggplant CommercializationSeptember 20, 2017
More than a hundred farmers and municipal agriculturists and technicians from the provinces of Pangasinan, Batangas, Quezon, and Davao in the Philippines expressed full support for the commercial planting of Bt eggplant. They hoped that the seeds be made available soon, after learning about its science, safety, and potential socioeconomic benefits during the Public Dialogue on Bt Eggplant held on September 14, 2017 at SEARCA Headquarters, College, Laguna. The activity served as a platform for farmers to clarify issues about the said technology.
Reynaldo Cueto, municipal agriculturist of Balete, Batangas said that his town is open for demo trials of Bt eggplant once it is commercialized, and he hopes that the crop can soon be planted by their farmers so that they can experience its benefits. Bt eggplant project leader, Dr. Desiree Hautea, said that University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) welcomes feedback from the farmers regarding challenges in eggplant farming and other crops, and will continue to develop technologies to cater to their needs.
The other resource persons in the public dialogue were Bt eggplant study leaders and UPLB entomologists, Dr. Lourdes Taylo and Mr. Mario Navasero; and UPLB economics professor, Dr. Cesar Quicoy. The public dialogue was organized by ISAAA and SEARCA Biotechnology Information Center (SEARCA BIC).
For more biotech updates in the Philippines, visit SEARCA BIC's website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- OFAB Nigeria Recognizes Media for Effective Biotech Reporting
- Uganda Harvests Another Successful GM Cassava Trial
- Purdue Researchers Identify New Soybean Gene to Fight Phytophthora
- Vietnam Encourages Use of GM Corn to Increase Productivity
- FSANZ Calls for Submission on GM Canola Application
- Brookes Presents Global Impact of Biotech Crops (1996-2015) to Indonesian Stakeholders
- Filipino Farmers Await Bt Eggplant Commercialization
- Gene from Wild Grapevine Involved in Powdery Mildew Response in Transgenic Grapevine
- MsmiR156 Promotes Root Development and Nitrogen Fixation Activity in Alfalfa
- Cry1Ac in Tomato Confers Resistance to Tomato Leaf Miner
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Sequence Apostasia Orchid Genome
- Increased Expression of FSH Decreases Fecundity in Transgenic Female Pigs
From the BICs
- Integrating Biotech Training in Uganda's Education System
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used to Analyze Cold Tolerance Related Transcription Factors in Rice
- CRISPR Scissors Utilized to Break Yield Barrier in Crops
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: