Cry1Ac in Tomato Confers Resistance to Tomato Leaf MinerSeptember 20, 2017
Tomato leaf miner (Tuta absoluta) is a major pest of tomato. This insect feeds on almost every part of the plant, causing plant death. Furthermore, this pest is difficult to control with chemical sprays. Researchers from Izmir Institute of Technology and Akdeniz University in Turkey transformed a modified Bacillus thuringiensis cry1Ac gene into tomato plants via Agrobacterium tumefaciens mediated transformation.
Four transgenic lines expressing the Cry1Ac transgene were generated by the team. Expression of the Cry1Ac protein in tomato resulted in T. absoluta mortality rates ranging from 38–100%. Moreover, it was found that a single copy of the gene in the hemizygous condition is sufficient to confer tolerance to the leaf miner.
This study could provide the foundation for developing transgenic commercial tomato cultivars resistant to leaf miner.
For more on this study, read the article in Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- OFAB Nigeria Recognizes Media for Effective Biotech Reporting
- Uganda Harvests Another Successful GM Cassava Trial
- Purdue Researchers Identify New Soybean Gene to Fight Phytophthora
- Vietnam Encourages Use of GM Corn to Increase Productivity
- FSANZ Calls for Submission on GM Canola Application
- Brookes Presents Global Impact of Biotech Crops (1996-2015) to Indonesian Stakeholders
- Filipino Farmers Await Bt Eggplant Commercialization
- Gene from Wild Grapevine Involved in Powdery Mildew Response in Transgenic Grapevine
- MsmiR156 Promotes Root Development and Nitrogen Fixation Activity in Alfalfa
- Cry1Ac in Tomato Confers Resistance to Tomato Leaf Miner
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Sequence Apostasia Orchid Genome
- Increased Expression of FSH Decreases Fecundity in Transgenic Female Pigs
From the BICs
- Integrating Biotech Training in Uganda's Education System
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used to Analyze Cold Tolerance Related Transcription Factors in Rice
- CRISPR Scissors Utilized to Break Yield Barrier in Crops
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: