ABCA Releases Updated Agricultural Biotechnology GuideAugust 30, 2017
The Agricultural Biotechnology Council of Australia (ABCA) released The Official Australian Reference Guide to Agricultural Biotechnology and GM Crops, 3rd edition, during a launching ceremony on August 29, 2017 at the AusBiotech AusAg & Foodtech Summit in Adelaide.
The newest edition of the Guide contains the latest scientifically valid information and reviewed by ABCA's Expert Scientific Panel. The Guide covers the science, performance, safety and regulation of commercialized GM crops as well as products in the pipeline. It also highlights the evolution of plant breeding innovations, such as genome editing using CRISPR-Cas9.
"Australia's agriculture sector is a significant exporter, employer and driver of rural and regional communities. The uptake of innovative and emerging agricultural biotechnologies allows the sector to remain competitive and innovative in the face of global challenges such as a changing climate and a reduction in arable land," said Mr. Ken Matthews, ABCA Chairman.
The Guide also contains information on ways to enable continued coexistence between GM and non-GM farming systems by featuring case studies of Australian farmers growing GM crops.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Research Team Maps Jumping Genes of Maize
- Nigeria Should Turn to Biotech Amidst Population Boom
- Delays in Biotech Crop Approvals in Africa Amplifies Malnutrition
- Genetic Map Reveals Heat Tolerance Traits in Peas
- Plant 'Smells' Insect Foe, Defends Self
- MSU Food Literacy Poll Shows Consumers Are Confused about GM Foods
- Study Says Americans OK with GM for Health Care, Still Wary About Food
- ABCA Releases Updated Agricultural Biotechnology Guide
- Biotech Crop Regulation Based on Sound Science Needed for Myanmar, says Permanent Secretary
- Study Finds Hormonal Interactions Regulate Growth of Plant Roots
- GE Plants with Algae Genes Could Improve Crop Yields
- GaMYB85 Plays a Role in Drought Tolerance in Transgenic Arabidopsis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Biotech Moths to be Field Tested in NY
- Plant-produced Zika Virus Vaccine Confers Protective Immunity in Mice
- CRISPR-mediated Knockout of SaF/SaM Overcomes the Hybrid Male Sterility in Rice
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: