Role of PtrZPT2-1 Gene in Plant Tolerance to Multiple Abiotic StressesAugust 23, 2017
In plants, most Cys2/His2 zinc finger proteins with two zinc finger domains (ZPT2) are involved in abiotic stress responses. A team from Jiangxi Agricultural University in China, led by Dechun Liu, cloned and studied the role of a ZPT2 gene family, PtrZPT2-1 from trifoliate orange (Poncirus trifoliata), in abiotic stress response.
PtrZPT2-1 was revealed to be contained in the nucleus. PtrZPT2-1 expression is strongly induced by cold, drought, salt and abiotic stresses. Overexpression of PtrZPT2-1 increased the survival rates in the transgenic tobacco after cold, drought or salt stress treatments. In addition, expression levels of 15 abiotic stress-related genes were all significantly increased in the transgenic tobacco overexpressing PtrZPT2-1 after the abiotic stress treatments.
These results show that overexpression of PtrZPT2-1 in the transgenic tobacco could be used to develop crops with improved cold, drought, and salt resistance.
For more information on this study, read the article in Plant Science.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Terminology Matters in Biosafety Communication
- Biologists Show How Plants Turn Off Genes They Don't Need
- Researchers Describe Gene that Makes Large, Plump Tomatoes
- Australian OGTR Receives License Application for Commercial Release of GM Cotton
- Vietnam Will Have to Continue Importing Maize
- Davao Stakeholders Updated on Crop Biotech and Philippine Biosafety Guidelines
- Green Revolution Genes Promise More Yield
- GmSN1 Overexpression Enhances Virus Resistance in Arabidopsis and Soybean
- Role of PtrZPT2-1 Gene in Plant Tolerance to Multiple Abiotic Stresses
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Targeted Mutagenesis in Tetraploid Switchgrass
- CRISPR-Cas9 Genome Editing in Rapeseed
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Plant-produced African Horse Sickness Virus Novel Vaccine
From the BICs
- DA-Davao Info Officers Explore Social Media for Sharing Agri Innovations
- PARC Adopts New Techniques for Agricultural Development in Pakistan
- Updated Pocket Ks on Biotech Now Available
Subscribe to CBU: