Alcohol dehydrogenase 1 Confers Abiotic and Biotic Stress Resistance in ArabidopsisJune 14, 2017
While the regulation and transcription factors of the Arabidosis gene AtADH1 in response to abiotic stress are known, its in vivo roles remain unknown. Haitao Shi of Hainan University, together with researchers from various Chinese Universities, studied the roles of AtADH1.
The team found that AtADH1 expression was largely induced by salt, drought, and cold stresses, as well as pathogen infection. Further analysis als showed that AtADH1 overexpression led to plants more sensitive to abscisic acid (ABA) compared to wide types (WT). Meanwhile, AtADH1-knockout mutants showed no significant difference compared with WT in ABA sensitivity.
AtADH1-overexpressing plants also showed improved stress resistance to salt, drought, cold and pathogen infection. Furthermore, overexpression of AtADH1 also increased the transcript levels of multiple stress-related genes.
These results indicate that AtADH1 confers enhanced resistance to both abiotic and biotic stresses.
For more on this study, read the article in Plant Science.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Breakthrough Research Makes Synthetic Photosynthesis Possible
- Detailed New Maize Reference Genome Shows Its Deep Resources for Continued Adaptation
- Brazil Approves GM Sugarcane for Commercial Use
- Researchers Identify Gene Against Wheat Streak Mosaic Virus
- Study Shows Rice First Cultivated in China 10,000 Years Ago
- Filipino Crop Scientists Tackle Ways to Face Climate Change and Globalization
- South Korean Consumer Group Hosts ISAAA Brief 52 Seminar
- Scientists Discover that Symbiotic Fungi Get Carbon from Plants in the Form of Fatty Acids
- Apple Genome Sequence Published
- Alcohol dehydrogenase 1 Confers Abiotic and Biotic Stress Resistance in Arabidopsis
- Non-target Arthropod Risk Assessment for Bt Rice in China
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Identify a Carotenoid Biosynthetic Gene in Rhodosporidium toruloides
- EFSA Releases Literature Review of Baseline Information on Assessment of RNAi-based GM Plants
- Functional Characterization of OsSAPK2 Using CRISPR-Cas9
- CRISPR-Cas9-Mediated Deletion of a Target Gene in Indica Rice
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 1, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: