Swaziland Parliament Commits to Enact Enabling Biosafety Legislations for GMOsMarch 8, 2017
Swaziland Parliament is working hard in ensuring enactment of biosafety legislation that enables cultivation of GM cotton. This was said by Dr. Titus Thwala, the Chair of the agricultural parliamentary committee during a tour of the GM cotton field trials located at Swaziland Cotton Board fields in Big Bend on February 23, 2017.
"As the parliament, we are going to make sure we work together with stakeholders to enact legislation that will make it possible for GMOs to work well in the country," Thwala said. The tour, whose aim was to assess the performance of the GM cotton, included MPs from the Ministry of Tourism and Environmental Affairs led by the Chair, Mr. Veli Shongwe. The visit was part of a follow-up of two portfolio committees who recently joined other African delegates that visited India on a study tour in November 2016. During the India study tour, they met one of the big GM cotton producers, JK Agri Genetics Ltd, (JK Seeds) who had joined the visit in Big Bend on 23rd. Mr. Sanjay Kumar Gupta, President and Director JK Seeds encouraged Swaziland to take up GM cotton production "If this opportunity is grabbed with both hands, Swaziland can become one of the greatest exporters of cotton in the world," he said.
The event was also attended by the Secretary General Swaziland National Agricultural Union, Jabuleni Tsabedze who was impressed by the GM cotton performance. He promised to work together with the MPs in ensuring successful adoption of the technology.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- U.S. National Academies Address PLOS One Article's Claims about the GE Crops Report
- Swaziland Parliament Commits to Enact Enabling Biosafety Legislations for GMOs
- UCLA Scientists Develop New Approach to Understand Plant Growth
- Study Solves Longstanding Mystery of Photosynthesis
- Report Shows that Biotech Soybean and Maize Can Generate US$150 million in Bolivia
- Researchers Find Wheat Bread Genome Dark Matter
- Nutrition Expert Says GM Crops Can Help the Philippines Meet Nutritional Requirements
- Scientists Publish the First Genetic Radiography of Pasta Wheat from 21 Mediterranean Countries
- Cotton GaRPL18 Regulates Resistance to Verticillium Wilt
- Cry10Aa Gene Confers Resistance to Cotton Boll Weevil in Transgenic Cotton
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Gene Editing in Chrysanthemum Using Multicopy Transgenes as Targets
- A High-Efficiency CRISPR-Cas9 System for Targeted Mutagenesis in Cotton
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Knockdown of Northern Armyworm Chitinase Genes thru Oral Delivery of RNAi Effectors
- UF Plant Science Symposium
- Retaking the Field: Strengthening the Science of Farm and Food Production
Subscribe to CBU: