Tβ4-overexpression via piggyBac Transposon System Alter Hair Fiber Characteristics in Cashmere GoatsDecember 7, 2016
Increasing cashmere yield is one of the goals of cashmere goats breeding. Compared to traditional breeding methods, transgenic technology is more efficient and the piggyBac (PB) transposon system has been widely applied to generate transgenic animals.
Northwest A&F University researchers overexpressed the cashmere goat thymosin beta-4 (Tβ4). Five transgenic cashmere goats were generated following somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT). The Tβ4 gene was successfully inserted into the goat genome. Analysis of skin tissue revealed that Tβ4-overexpressing transgenic goats had a higher secondary to primary hair follicle ratio compared to wild types. This shows that Tβ4-overexpressing goats possess increased number of secondary hair follicles.
These results indicate that Tβ4-overexpression in cashmere goats could be a feasible strategy to increase cashmere yield.
For more on this study, read the article in Transgenic Research.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- PRRI and ISAAA Prepare for COPMOP8 in Cancun, Mexico
- GE Cowpea Seeds to be Available for Nigerian Farmers in 2019
- New Insights on Plant Aging Promotes Better Understanding of Crop Yields
- Brazil Expected to Release GE Sugarcane in 2017
- USDA FAS-GAIN Reports Agri-biotech Updates in Latin America
- Americans Divided Over Food Science
- Australian Researchers Find Common Grass Could Boost Food Security
- Dept of Agri Anticipates GM Maize Planting Expansion in Vietnam
- Scientists Unlock 51 Million-Year-Old Genetic Secret to Darwin's Theory
- Scientists Develop Pest Resistant Tomato Using Bt Technology
- Researchers Identify Fusarium Head Blight Resistance Gene in Wheat
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Tβ4-overexpression via piggyBac Transposon System Alter Hair Fiber Characteristics in Cashmere Goats
- Plant Genomics and Gene Editing Congress - Asia
- Genome Modification through Sequence-Specific Nucleases-mediated Gene Targeting for Crop Improvement
- Genetic Editing of Grapevine and Apple Protoplasts using CRISPR/Cas9 Ribonucleoproteins
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: