Dept of Agri Anticipates GM Maize Planting Expansion in VietnamDecember 7, 2016
The field trial of GM maize at Trung Son Commune (Do Luong district) in 2015 with 0.5 Acre (1,800 m2) area has gained high productivity and economic efficiency. Trung Son commune has 560 ha of agricultural land, in which 80 ha is specialized for maize. In 2016, Trung Son has expanded the area of GM maize in 6 ha for 55 farmers.
The result of evaluation has shown that GM maize is high yielding. Forty eight tons of grain were harvested in 6 ha of GM maize area in Trung Son commune this year.
The advantage of GM maize is its insect resistance. However, the price of GM maize seeds is higher compared to others, which refrains farmers to purchase and apply. On average, non-GM maize seed price range is between 90,000-130,000VND/kg, while GM maize is priced at 210,000VND/kg. Although farmers might have to pay more for this seed, they will save money from needing less inputs, such as pesticides and herbicides.
The Department of Agricultural and Rural Development in Nghe An plans to expand the GM maize cultivation area to enhance maize productivity and quality.
Read the original article in Vietnamese at Baonghean.vn.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- PRRI and ISAAA Prepare for COPMOP8 in Cancun, Mexico
- GE Cowpea Seeds to be Available for Nigerian Farmers in 2019
- New Insights on Plant Aging Promotes Better Understanding of Crop Yields
- Brazil Expected to Release GE Sugarcane in 2017
- USDA FAS-GAIN Reports Agri-biotech Updates in Latin America
- Americans Divided Over Food Science
- Australian Researchers Find Common Grass Could Boost Food Security
- Dept of Agri Anticipates GM Maize Planting Expansion in Vietnam
- Scientists Unlock 51 Million-Year-Old Genetic Secret to Darwin's Theory
- Scientists Develop Pest Resistant Tomato Using Bt Technology
- Researchers Identify Fusarium Head Blight Resistance Gene in Wheat
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Tβ4-overexpression via piggyBac Transposon System Alter Hair Fiber Characteristics in Cashmere Goats
- Plant Genomics and Gene Editing Congress - Asia
- Genome Modification through Sequence-Specific Nucleases-mediated Gene Targeting for Crop Improvement
- Genetic Editing of Grapevine and Apple Protoplasts using CRISPR/Cas9 Ribonucleoproteins
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 15, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 8, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: