Researchers Identify Fusarium Head Blight Resistance Gene in WheatDecember 7, 2016
Cell wall fortification is one of the best resistance mechanisms in wheat (Triticum aestivum) against Fusarium graminearum, which causes Fusarium head blight (FHB). Analysis of FHB resistant near-isogenic lines (NIL-R) led to the identification of various resistance-related (RR) metabolites, including hydroxycinnamic acid amides, such as coumaroylagmatine and coumaroylputrescine.
Using these metabolites, the team of Udaykumar Kage from McGill University in Canada identified a gene encoding agmatine coumaroyl transferase, named TaACT, as a candidate gene for FHB resistance. TaACT was found to be located within a FHB quantitative trait loci on chromosome 2DL (FHB QTL-2DL).
Sequence analysis of TaACT in resistant and susceptible lines also led to the identification of several single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) and two inversions in the gene that could be important for gene function. The role of TaACT in FHB resistance was proven through virus-induced gene silencing (VIGS) in wheat as well as via complementation studies in Arabidopsis act mutants.
For more on this study, read the full article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- PRRI and ISAAA Prepare for COPMOP8 in Cancun, Mexico
- GE Cowpea Seeds to be Available for Nigerian Farmers in 2019
- New Insights on Plant Aging Promotes Better Understanding of Crop Yields
- Brazil Expected to Release GE Sugarcane in 2017
- USDA FAS-GAIN Reports Agri-biotech Updates in Latin America
- Americans Divided Over Food Science
- Australian Researchers Find Common Grass Could Boost Food Security
- Dept of Agri Anticipates GM Maize Planting Expansion in Vietnam
- Scientists Unlock 51 Million-Year-Old Genetic Secret to Darwin's Theory
- Scientists Develop Pest Resistant Tomato Using Bt Technology
- Researchers Identify Fusarium Head Blight Resistance Gene in Wheat
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Genome Modification through Sequence-Specific Nucleases-mediated Gene Targeting for Crop Improvement
- Genetic Editing of Grapevine and Apple Protoplasts using CRISPR/Cas9 Ribonucleoproteins
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Tβ4-overexpression via piggyBac Transposon System Alter Hair Fiber Characteristics in Cashmere Goats
- Plant Genomics and Gene Editing Congress - Asia
Subscribe to CBU: