Increasing Palmitic Acid Levels in Cotton Seed Oil thru Downregulation of GhKAS2September 28, 2016
Palmitic acid (C16:0) makes up approximately 25% of the total fatty acids in the conventional cotton seed oil. However, further improvement in palmitic acid content could provide increased oxidative stability to cotton seed oil, used for making margarine and confectionary products. Qing Liu and a team of researchers from CSIRO Agriculture & Food in Australia aim to increase palmitic oil content by seed-specific RNAi-mediated downregulation of β-ketoacyl-ACP synthase II (GhKASII) in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum).
The team succeeded in increasing the C16 fatty acid content of cotton seed oil, reaching up to 65% of total fatty acids. The elevated C16 levels were comprised of predominantly palmitic acid (51%), palmitoleic acid (C16:1, 11%) and hexadecadienoic acid (C16:2- 3%). Seed germination of the transgenics remained unaffected, despite the alteration of fatty acid composition.
Crossing the high-palmitic lines with previously created high-oleic and high-stearic genotypes demonstrated that these traits could be pyramided. However, elevation of stearic acid is hindered by high levels of palmitic acid.
For more information on this study, read the article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- U.S. Approves Arctic Fuji Apple
- Researchers Discover Non-Bt Protein for Corn Rootworm Control
- U.S. Government Updates Federal Regulatory Policy for Biotechnology
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for GM Potato Field Trial
- Genes to Fight Powdery Mildew in Barley Identified
- Scientists Discover a Protein that Can Help Plants Tolerate Saline Conditions
- GM Maize Harvested in Vietnam Field Trial Sites
- OsABCG26 Vital in Anther Cuticle and Pollen Exine Formation in Rice
- Increasing Palmitic Acid Levels in Cotton Seed Oil thru Downregulation of GhKAS2
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Zinc Finger Nuclease System Developed for Targeted Genome Engineering in Tomato
- ISU Scientists Review Status of Genome-Edited Crops Regulation
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Discover Gene that Can Reduce Female Mosquitoes
- Downregulation of GIGANTEA-like Genes Enhances Growth and Salt Tolerance in Poplar
- Bt Eggplant Resources
- More Updated Pocket Ks on Biotech Now Available
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (August 10, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (August 10, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (July 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: