GM Maize Harvested in Vietnam Field Trial SitesSeptember 28, 2016
After three months of field trials which started in April 2016, Bt maize (MIR162) was harvested in Dak Lak and Ba Ria-Vung Tau Provinces in Vietnam. After the harvest, the seeds were destructed following the regulations implemented by the government. Representatives of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and other local agencies ensured that all biosafety guidelines in planting and harvesting GM crops under testing were followed. The trials were conducted by Syngenta Vietnam.
On the other hand, Pioneer Hi-Bred Vietnam Company Ltd. and Agricultural Genetics Institute harvested Bt maize (MON810) from confined field trials at Van Giang Experimental Station, Lien Nghia commune, Van Giang district, Hung Yen province. Representatives from government agencies and local organizations supervised the harvest including the Department of Biodiversity Conservation, Department of Science, Technology and Environment, Biosafety Committee of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development of Hung Yen Province, and the Division of Natural Resources and Environment.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- U.S. Approves Arctic Fuji Apple
- Researchers Discover Non-Bt Protein for Corn Rootworm Control
- U.S. Government Updates Federal Regulatory Policy for Biotechnology
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for GM Potato Field Trial
- Genes to Fight Powdery Mildew in Barley Identified
- Scientists Discover a Protein that Can Help Plants Tolerate Saline Conditions
- GM Maize Harvested in Vietnam Field Trial Sites
- OsABCG26 Vital in Anther Cuticle and Pollen Exine Formation in Rice
- Increasing Palmitic Acid Levels in Cotton Seed Oil thru Downregulation of GhKAS2
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Zinc Finger Nuclease System Developed for Targeted Genome Engineering in Tomato
- ISU Scientists Review Status of Genome-Edited Crops Regulation
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Discover Gene that Can Reduce Female Mosquitoes
- Downregulation of GIGANTEA-like Genes Enhances Growth and Salt Tolerance in Poplar
- Bt Eggplant Resources
- More Updated Pocket Ks on Biotech Now Available
Subscribe to CBU: