Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Field Trial of GM Indian MustardSeptember 21, 2016
The Australian Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR) invites comments from the public to assess license application DIR 149 from Nuseed Pty Ltd for a field trial of genetically modified (GM) Indian mustard.
The trial is proposed to take place between April 2017 and May 2022, with trial sites selected from 99 possible local government areas in New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland. The trial would be subject to control measures that restrict the spread and persistence of the GM plants and their introduced genetic material. The GM Indian mustard would not be used for human food or animal feed.
The Gene Regulator is preparing a Risk Assessment and Risk Management Plan for the application to be released for public comment and advice from experts, agencies, and authorities in November 2016.
For more details, read the DIR 149 documents available at the OGTR website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Calestous Juma's New Book Explains Why Humans Resist Tech Innovations like Biotech
- Largest-Ever Study of GM Crops Reveals their Environmental Impacts
- Maize Genetics Helps Scientists Study Crop Adaptation to Climate Change
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Field Trial of GM Indian Mustard
- OGTR Issues New Application Form for Commercial Release of GM Plants
- USDA GAIN Releases Philippine Biotechnology Update
- FAO to Conduct Agricultural Censuses in Asia to Help Achieve SDGs
- European Commission Approves Syngenta GM Maize
- Transcription Factor ONAC095 Plays Opposite Roles in Drought and Cold Tolerance in Rice
- Plant Defensin from Legume Confers Resistance to Leaf Rust in Wheat
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Search for Alternative Sources of Vanilla Flavor
From the BICs
- New Philippine Biotech Regulatory System Introduced to the Public
- Proceedings of the 2016 FAO International Symposium on Agricultural Biotechnologies
- Download the Updated Pocket Ks on Biotech
- Researchers Enhance Rice Blast Resistance via CRISPR/Cas9-Targeted Mutagenesis of OsERF922
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: