Obama Signs GM Food Labeling LawAugust 3, 2016
U.S President Barack Obama signed the GM food labeling bill into law. The bill was drafted by Senators Pat Roberts and Debbie Stabenow, which aims to prevent states from issuing mandatory labeling laws and require food manufacturers to use one of three different labels for GM food products: (1) label with U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) symbol indicating the presence of GMOs; (2) label using plain language; or (3) add a scanning code that links to ingredient details.
USDA formed a working group that will make the necessary guidelines on the implementation of the legislation. The new law also nullifies Vermont's GMO labeling law which took effect on July 1, 2016.
Read more from Agriculture.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists Test Efficacy of Maize Resistant to African Maize Stem Borer in Kenya Highlands
- Cost of Developing a GM Crop Demystified
- Repair System Found in Algae to Yield New Biotechnology Tools
- Obama Signs GM Food Labeling Law
- Davao Media Gets Enlightened on Biotechnology
- 'Superstar' Rice Varieties Reduce Fertilizer Loss, Cut Down Pollution
- Researchers Identify Gene Controlling Waterlogging Tolerance in Barley
- UP Law Professors Point out Need for Biotech Communicators
- Scientists Identify Mechanism of Tomato Softening
- Breakthrough in Understanding Rubisco to Help Feed the World
- Stomatal Carpenter 1 Regulates Stomata Patterning in Plants
- Researchers Identify Two Powdery Mildew Resistance Genes from Wild Chinese Grapevine
Beyond Crop Biotech
- A Rapid, Low-cost Protoplast Transfection System for Switchgrass
- The GMO Revolution
- Oligonucleotide-Mediated Genome Editing in Plants
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 22, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 22, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: