Expression of WRINKLED1 in Potato Increases Triacylglycerol Content in TubersMarch 23, 2016
Tuber and root crops accumulate storage products in the form of carbohydrates. An exception is yellow nutsedge (Cyperus esculentus) which has the capacity to store starch and triacylglycerols (TAG). This suggests that a tuber crop can efficiently handle accumulation of energy dense oil. It would be of interest to use the high yield capacity of tuber or root crops for oil accumulation.
The transcription factor WRINKLED1 from Arabidopsis thaliana, which in seed embryos induce fatty acid synthesis, has been shown to be a major factor for oil accumulation. Per Hofvander of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences expressed the transcription factor WRINKLED1 in potato (Solanum tuberosum) tubers to explore whether it could impact tuber metabolism.
The WRINKLED1 transcription factor induced triacylglycerol accumulation in tubers as well as largely increased polar membrane lipids of transformed potato plants grown in field. The changes in metabolism further affected starch accumulation and composition associated with massive increases in sugar content.
For more on the study, read the article on Plant Biotechnology Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Plants' Ability to Adapt Changes Conventional Knowledge on Climate Change, Says New Study
- Australia's OGTR Authorizes Commercial Release of GM HT Canola
- Biologists Identify Plant Clock Genes Regulating Circadian Rhythm
- Plants Found to Host Beneficial Fungi When Required
- Researchers Discover Microbes Use Plant Hormones to Protect Plants
- MicroRNA-Dependent Gene Regulatory Network for Leaf Senescence in Maize
- Expression of WRINKLED1 in Potato Increases Triacylglycerol Content in Tubers
- Cystatin Restores Fertility in Cysteine Protease-Induced Male Sterile Tobacco
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Generate Whole Genome Map of Fruit Fly Genetic Recombination
- Study Details How Plants Create Anticancer Compounds
- Human Growth Factor Expressed in Transgenic Insect
- 3rd Plant Genomics Congress: Asia
- 5th International Conference and Exhibition on Metabolomics
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (January 25, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to CBU: