MicroRNA-Dependent Gene Regulatory Network for Leaf Senescence in MaizeMarch 23, 2016
Maize grain yield depends mainly on the photosynthetic efficiency of functional leaves, which is controlled by an array of gene networks and other factors. MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are small RNA molecules that play important roles in plant developmental regulation. A few senescence-associated miRNAs (SA-miRNAs) have been identified to be regulating leaf senescence by modulating the expression levels of their target genes.
The team of Xiangyuan Wu from Henan Agricultural University in China studied the miRNA roles in leaf senescence and their underlying mechanisms in maize. A stay-green line, Yu87-1, and an early leaf senescence line, Early leaf senescence-1 (ELS-1), were used to determine candidate miRNAs.
Sixteen miRNAs were found to be differentially expressed between ELS-1 and Yu87-1. Analysis of both lines identified these 16 differentially expressed miRNAs as candidate SA-miRNAs. Further analysis indicate that these candidate SA-miRNAs may regulate leaf senescence through their target genes, mainly transcription factors, and potentially control chlorophyll degradation pathways.
For more information on the study, read the full article on BMC Plant Biology.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Plants' Ability to Adapt Changes Conventional Knowledge on Climate Change, Says New Study
- Australia's OGTR Authorizes Commercial Release of GM HT Canola
- Biologists Identify Plant Clock Genes Regulating Circadian Rhythm
- Plants Found to Host Beneficial Fungi When Required
- Researchers Discover Microbes Use Plant Hormones to Protect Plants
- MicroRNA-Dependent Gene Regulatory Network for Leaf Senescence in Maize
- Expression of WRINKLED1 in Potato Increases Triacylglycerol Content in Tubers
- Cystatin Restores Fertility in Cysteine Protease-Induced Male Sterile Tobacco
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Generate Whole Genome Map of Fruit Fly Genetic Recombination
- Study Details How Plants Create Anticancer Compounds
- Human Growth Factor Expressed in Transgenic Insect
- 3rd Plant Genomics Congress: Asia
- 5th International Conference and Exhibition on Metabolomics
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (January 25, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to CBU: