Study Suggests Climate Change Impact on Agriculture is UnderestimatedMarch 16, 2016
How climate change might affect the food supply for a growing population is a critical concern. A new study conducted by researchers from Brown and Tufts universities suggests that researchers have been overlooking how two key human responses to climate — how much land people choose to farm, and the number of crops they plant — will impact food production in the future.
The study focused on the Brazilian state of Mato Grosso, an emerging global breadbasket that as of 2013 supplied 10 percent of the world's soybeans. The researchers looked not only at crop yield, but also at year-to-year variation in crop area and double cropping. The team gathered imagery of the Mato Grosso region from NASA's MODIS satellite, which monitors land cover and land use all over the world. They found that cropland is identified as areas that turn green during the growing season, and then quickly become brown, after harvest. Two green-ups in the same growing season indicate the land is being double-cropped.
The study showed that temperature increases of 1 degree Celsius were associated with substantial decreases in both total crop area and double cropping. Those decreases accounted for 70 percent of the overall loss in production found in the study. Only the remaining 30 percent was attributable to crop yield.
For more information, read the news release from Brown University.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Suppressing Growth: Opposition to GMOs Hurting Developing Nations
- New Study Identifies Sweet Corn Genes for Crowding Tolerance
- Study Suggests Climate Change Impact on Agriculture is Underestimated
- Researchers Discover Gene That Protects against Toxic Byproducts of Photosynthesis
- Scientists Unravel Unknown Receptors and Mechanism for Plant Fertilization
- New EU Project Focuses on Crops Important for Food Security and Bio-Economy
- Ectopic Expression of PtCYP714A3 from Populus trichocarpa Improves Salt Tolerance in Transgenic Rice
- Kn1 Gene Overexpression Improves Transformation Efficiencies of Citrus Cultivars
- OsBBX14 Delays Heading Date in Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Abiotic Stress Tolerance Genes Characterized in Brown Seaweed
- Scientists Develop GM Microbe for Monogastric Animal Nutrition
- Researchers Discover MicroRNA that may Protect from Obesity and Diabetes
- Genome Editing and Gene Modulation Congress 2016
- 3rd Plant Genomics Congress: Asia
- 5th International Conference and Exhibition on Metabolomics
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: