Biotechnologist Mohapatra to Lead Indian Council of Agriculture ResearchFebruary 24, 2016
Dr. Trilochan Mohapatra, a renowned scientist of molecular genetics and genomics is the new Secretary of India's Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE) and Director General of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR). ICAR is the world's largest network of crop specific research institutions spread across India that forms a unique national agricultural research system including State Agricultural Universities (SAUs).
Dr. Mohapatra has previously worked as a researcher at the ICAR National Research Centre on Plant Biotechnology (NRCPB), Director of National Rice Research Institute (formerly CRRI), and Director-cum-Vice Chancellor of Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) in New Delhi.
Dr. Mohapatra made an enormous contribution in sequencing the rice genome and in the development of the first high yielding Basmati rice variety resistant to bacterial leaf blight through molecular marker assisted selection. He was also involved in physical mapping of the genome of tomato. He has published book chapters and over 145 research papers in peer-reviewed national and international scientific journals.
More information about ICAR's new Director General is available at the ICAR website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Plant Scientists: GM Technology to Help Meet Food Supply Demands
- NEPAD's ABNE Organizes African Study Tour to India
- New Device may Speed Up DNA Insertion into Bacteria
- Transgenic Sweet Corn Found Not More Susceptible to Goss's Wilt Disease
- New Genetic Advancements in Wheat Aimed Towards Enhancing Yield
- Biotechnologist Mohapatra to Lead Indian Council of Agriculture Research
- Plant Parts 'Talk' to One Another for Metabolism and Growth
- Immunity Gene Fusions Discovered in Plants
- Effect of Long-Term Cropping of Transgenic Soybean on Soil Microbiome
- SaHMA3 Functions in Cadmium Hyperaccumulation and Tolerance of Sedum alfredii
- Brassica ERD4 Gene Enhances Growth, Salt and Drought Tolerance in Arabidopsis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Genetic Code of Pigs Altered to Tackle Deadly Virus
From the BICs
- Kenya's National Biosafety Boards Assessed Its Biotech Capacity through a Study Tour
- IRBC07 – ICBB05 (Back-to-Back International Conferences)
- 5th International Conference and Exhibition on Metabolomics
- 3rd Plant Genomics Congress: Asia
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: