Expression of Arabidopsis L-type Lectin Receptor Kinase Genes in Tobacco Confers Phytophthora ResistanceFebruary 17, 2016
In Arabidopsis, several L-type lectin receptor kinases (LecRKs) were previously found to function in conferring Phytophthora resistance. Yan Wang of the Nanjing Agricultural University, together with researchers from Wageningen University, determined the function of Arabidopsis LecRK-I.9 or LecRK-IX.1 against Phytophthora resistance when transferred into Nicotiana benthamiana.
Multiple transgenic lines were generated for each LecRK gene and molecular analyses revealed variation in transgene copy number, transgene expression levels and LecRK protein accumulation. Assays showed that transgenic N. benthamiana plants expressing either Arabidopsis LecRK-I.9 or LecRK-IX.1 were more resistant to Phytophthora capsici and Phytophthora infestans.
These results demonstrate that Arabidopsis LecRK-I.9 and LecRK-IX.1 retained their Phytophthora resistance function after being transferred into N. benthamiana. These LecRKs have the potential to function as a complementary Phytophthora resistance resource in distantly related plant species.
For more information, read the article on Plant Cell Reports.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO DG: More Must be Done to Ensure Access to Agbiotech of Family Farmers in Developing Countries
- Ancient Flowering Plant Found Poisonous
- GE Rice High in Iron and Zinc Developed
- Farmer Leaders in Uganda Pledge Support for Agri Biotechnology
- Scientists Modify Plant Gene to Trick Bacterial Defense to Attack Virus
- New Study Sheds Light on Plant Evolution
- Expression of Arabidopsis L-type Lectin Receptor Kinase Genes in Tobacco Confers Phytophthora Resistance
- DPB3-1 from Arabidopsis Enhances Heat Stress Tolerance without Growth Retardation in Rice
- Government Commissioned Study Did Not Find Glyphosate in Breast Milk
- Expression of Arabidopsis Bax Inhibitor-1 in Sugarcane Confers Drought Tolerance
- Analysis of Block of cell proliferation 1 (BOP1) Function in Strawberry and Arabidopsis
- Metabolic Engineering for Proanthocyanidin Production by Repressing Isoflavone Pathways
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Kiel Scientists "Shrunk" Laboratories
- 7th International Crop Science Congress
- 'Road Movie' on Plant Resistance to Disease
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 22, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 15, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: