Expression of Arabidopsis Bax Inhibitor-1 in Sugarcane Confers Drought ToleranceFebruary 17, 2016
The sustainability of global crop production is critically dependent on improving tolerance of crops to various environmental stresses, including drought stress. Thus, identification of genes that confer stress tolerance has become a top priority.
Daniel Alves Ramiro of Universidade de São Paulo in Brazil now show that expression of a cell death suppressor, Bax Inhibitor-1 from Arabidopsis thaliana (AtBI-1) in sugarcane (Saccharum sp.), can increase its tolerance to long-term water stress conditions. The trait could be an effect of the increased tolerance of the transgenic sugarcane to induction of endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress caused by water deficit.
The results suggest that suppression of ER stress in C4 grasses can be an effective means of conferring improved tolerance to long-term water deficit.
For more information on the study, read the full article on Plant Biotechnology Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO DG: More Must be Done to Ensure Access to Agbiotech of Family Farmers in Developing Countries
- Ancient Flowering Plant Found Poisonous
- GE Rice High in Iron and Zinc Developed
- Farmer Leaders in Uganda Pledge Support for Agri Biotechnology
- Scientists Modify Plant Gene to Trick Bacterial Defense to Attack Virus
- New Study Sheds Light on Plant Evolution
- Expression of Arabidopsis L-type Lectin Receptor Kinase Genes in Tobacco Confers Phytophthora Resistance
- DPB3-1 from Arabidopsis Enhances Heat Stress Tolerance without Growth Retardation in Rice
- Government Commissioned Study Did Not Find Glyphosate in Breast Milk
- Expression of Arabidopsis Bax Inhibitor-1 in Sugarcane Confers Drought Tolerance
- Analysis of Block of cell proliferation 1 (BOP1) Function in Strawberry and Arabidopsis
- Metabolic Engineering for Proanthocyanidin Production by Repressing Isoflavone Pathways
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Kiel Scientists "Shrunk" Laboratories
- 7th International Crop Science Congress
- 'Road Movie' on Plant Resistance to Disease
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (May 25, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (May 18, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (May 25, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: