Analysis of Block of cell proliferation 1 (BOP1) Function in Strawberry and ArabidopsisFebruary 17, 2016
Block of cell proliferation (BOP) proteins play roles in ribosome biogenesis and cell cycle regulation in mammals and yeast. A BOP1 orthologue was identified in plants, and loss-of-function analyses in tobacco cells confirmed similar activities. Sofia D. Carvalho, together with University of Florida researchers, characterized the role of BOP1 activity.
Two transgenic plant species were used: the diploid strawberry (Fragaria vesca) and Arabidopsis thaliana. FvBOP1 silencing in strawberry decreased plant fitness prior to flowering, followed by plant death after the reproductive stage, indicating that BOP1 activity is required for transition back to vegetative growth after flowering.
In Arabidopsis, a 50% decrease in transcript accumulation was sufficient to cause severe developmental defects due to defective cell division. The lower transcript levels, resulting in defects in rRNA processing and developmental abnormalities were consistent with its predicted role in ribosome biogenesis. The protein BOP1 was also found essential for seed viability.
For more information, read the article on Plant Science.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO DG: More Must be Done to Ensure Access to Agbiotech of Family Farmers in Developing Countries
- Ancient Flowering Plant Found Poisonous
- GE Rice High in Iron and Zinc Developed
- Farmer Leaders in Uganda Pledge Support for Agri Biotechnology
- Scientists Modify Plant Gene to Trick Bacterial Defense to Attack Virus
- New Study Sheds Light on Plant Evolution
- Expression of Arabidopsis L-type Lectin Receptor Kinase Genes in Tobacco Confers Phytophthora Resistance
- DPB3-1 from Arabidopsis Enhances Heat Stress Tolerance without Growth Retardation in Rice
- Government Commissioned Study Did Not Find Glyphosate in Breast Milk
- Expression of Arabidopsis Bax Inhibitor-1 in Sugarcane Confers Drought Tolerance
- Analysis of Block of cell proliferation 1 (BOP1) Function in Strawberry and Arabidopsis
- Metabolic Engineering for Proanthocyanidin Production by Repressing Isoflavone Pathways
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Kiel Scientists "Shrunk" Laboratories
- 7th International Crop Science Congress
- 'Road Movie' on Plant Resistance to Disease
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: