EuropaBio Launches Digital Platform for GM DialogueFebruary 5, 2014
EuropaBio launched Growing Voices (www.growingvoices.eu), a digital forum designed to help consumers learn about the reality of GM crops and to facilitate dialogue between consumers and non-industry experts from farming, academia, politics, among others.
The launch of Growing Voices was attended by over 100 invited guests. High profile politicians, researchers, and campaigners presented in the event and called the attention of European consumers to engage more in the debate on biotech crops using this forum. A panel discussion highlighting the health and consumer benefits of agricultural biotechnology was also conducted.
One of the speakers during the event was Hon. Owen Paterson, MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, UK. He said that "GM offers real opportunities to develop crops that provide better resilience to extremes of weather and land conditions. There is the potential to add extra nutrients that can directly help people in developing countries who are vulnerable to nutrient deficiencies in their diets. As the world's population continues to increase, access to these technologies becomes even more important."
Read the press release at http://www.europabio.org/press/growing-voices-encourage-consumer-rethink-gm-crops-high-profile-guests-highlight-current-and. Read Hon. Owen Paterson's speech at https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/owen-paterson-speech-at-europabio.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- AATF Receives Feed the Future Funding to Improve Maize Production in East Africa
- USDA Develops Inventory for Wild Relatives of Important Crops
- New Process Makes "Biogasoline" from Farm Waste
- Potatoes Show Promise for Meeting Climate Change Challenges
- Researchers Find Genetic Cause for Citrus Canker
- Protein as 'Master Regulator' Controls Flowering, Disease Resistance in Plants
- Adoption and Uptake Pathway of GM Technology by Chinese Smallholders: Evidence from Bt Cotton Production
- Pakistan Formulates Biotech Policy Plan
- Asia and Pacific Countries Finalize Regional Rice Strategy
- India Should Not Succumb to Unscientific Prejudices Againts GM Crops: Prime Minister
- UN to Give Technical Facilities to Pakistan's Agriculture, FAO Rep
- EuropaBio Launches Digital Platform for GM Dialogue
- Scientists Reveal Secrets of Potato Blight
- Regulation of GMOs in India
- Study Shows that Beneficial Insects Unharmed by Bt Crops
- Comparative Diversity of Arthropods on Bt Maize and Non-Bt Maize in South Africa
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scotts Tests Biotech Grass at Home Lawns
- Drug Company Searches for People with Super Traits
- 40 Chances Fellows
- Infographics About ISAAA: The Go-to-source of Information for GM Crops
Subscribe to CBU: