USDA Scientists Finds Gene Defect as Cause of Stress Syndrome in PigsMay 15, 2013
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) scientists have discovered that a gene defect is the reason behind the recently discovered stress syndrome in pigs. The new syndrome has been observed by producers and researchers after pigs were exposed to stress such as transportation, and the symptoms were found to be different from classical porcine stress syndrome which was eliminated from U.S swine herds years ago.
To map the disease, molecular biologist Dan Nonneman and his team in the U.S. Meat Animal Research Center (USMARC) re-mated the original parents of the siblings with disorders to produce more litters. All the offsprings were genotyped and the chromosomal region containing dystrophin was linked with the syndrome.
Read more about the research at http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130429.htm
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Sacred Lotus Genome Sequenced
- USAID Collaborates with Syngenta to Improve Global Food Security
- National Food Security can be Attained in Uganda if Farmers will Plant GM Crops, Harvard Prof Opines
- Egypt Celebrates 2013 Biotechnology Day
- J.R. Simplot Petitions for GM Potato Deregulation
- USDA Approves Testing of Pink Pineapple
- Genetic Engineering Helps American Chestnut Trees to Rise Again
- Wild Relatives of Crops Discovered in the U.S.
- Scientists Develop New Cost-Effective Method of Genome Assembly
- Biotechnology Among the Highlights of ASEAN Executive Forum to Level Up Agriculture
- Gene Silencing to Boost Agricultural Yields
- Researchers Identify Plant Mechanism that Control Nitrogen Utilization
- Scientists Work on Preserving the Sahara Olive Tree
- Specialized Transporters for Plants to Increase Food Production
- Transgenic Maize Shows Improved Nutritive Quality and Salt Resistance
Beyond Crop Biotech
- BIO Urges FDA Approval of GE Salmon
- USDA Scientists Finds Gene Defect as Cause of Stress Syndrome in Pigs
- New Method for Dev't of Altered Mice to Model Human Disease
- BioMalaysia & Bioeconomy Asia Pacific 2013 Goes to Johor
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: