CIMMYT, Zimbabwe Partner to Improve Drought Tolerant Seed VarietiesOctober 24, 2012
The government of Zimbabwe and the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) signed a five-year Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to develop seed varieties in the country that can withstand drought conditions to improve the country's crop produce.
Agriculture Mechanization and Irrigation Development Minister Joseph Made said that the agreement is critical for agricultural development in the country as climate change and global warming are pointing to a more straining situation for farmers because the bulk of them will continue to depend on dry land agriculture.
The MoU will be renewed after every five years to show reinvigorated commitment for both parties to advance seed varieties in the region.
For further information, visit http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v6/newsworld.php?id=703171.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Pontifical Academy President Says GMOs are Advancing Step to Evolution
- USDA Scientists and Global Researchers Map Barley Genome
- Research on Heat Tolerant Wheat Variety to Start Soon
- Farmers Appeal for GM Crops Cultivation in Zimbabwe
- CIMMYT, Zimbabwe Partner to Improve Drought Tolerant Seed Varieties
- Kommerell: Wheat No Longer a Minor Crop in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Institute for International Crop Improvement at Danforth Center Prioritize Orphan Crops
- Herbicide Tolerant, High Yielding, and Stress Tolerant Alfalfa Ready for Field Testing
- Tapping Sorghum's Potential for Cold Tolerance
- USDA Funds $10M Research Grant for Biofuel-based Economic Dev't
- New Traits for Problem Weeds Approved in Canada
- Pakistani Scientists Develop Virus Resistant Cotton
- Petai Belalang's Potential In Biotech Industry Is High: Najib
- Dialogue Among Scientists and Media in Malaysia
- Researchers Develop Computer Models to Detect Plant Pests and Diseases
- Effects of Feeding Bt Maize to Sows and Offspring Immunity
- Influence of Bt Maize Pollen on Midgut Bacterial Community of Worker Bees
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Sequence Mushroom Genome
- Duke Scientists Explain Antibiotic Tolerance of Bacteria
- Case Studies of Use of Agricultural Biotechnologies in Developing Countries
- 12th International Symposium on Plant Virus Epidemiology
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (June 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: