World Food Day Celebration Focus on Agri CoopsOctober 17, 2012
Last October 16, 2012, 150 countries celebrated World Food Day by focusing on agricultural cooperatives, which involve small-scale farmers and have the potential to make massive contributions to alleviate poverty and hunger given strong support from the government, civil society, and the academia.
According to the recent figures which was released a week ago by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the number of hungry people have decreased by 132 million compared to the figures 20 years ago. However, there are still about 870 million people who do not get enough food every day.
During the ceremony at the FAO headquarters in Rome, Director-General José Graziano da Silva emphasized the necessity of working towards total eradication of hunger, which is possible based on the developments witnessed in South America, Africa, and Asia.
"Agricultural cooperatives can help smallholders overcome these constraints," he said. "Cooperatives play a crucial role in generating employment, reducing poverty, and improving food security, and contributing to the gross domestic product in many countries." He also challenged the governments to do their part to create conditions that permit producer organizations and cooperatives to flourish.
Read FAO's media release at http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/162372/icode/.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety Tackle Three Key Topics
- World Food Day Celebration Focus on Agri Coops
- New Sweet Potato Variety Triples Yield in Rwanda
- Unusual Genetic Structure Confers Major Disease Resistance in Soybean
- Aphids Weaken Soybean Genetic Defenses and Open Door for Other Pests
- Paraguay to Produce Bt Cotton Seeds
- Scientists Sequence Crop Fungus' Genome
- India's Scientific Advisory Council Recommends GM Crops for Food Security
- Chinese Premier Awarded Agricola Medal
- Parliament Agriculture Committee Chair Supports Biotech Research in Bangladesh
- Biotechnology Information Sharing in Japan
- Scientists Identify Underground Key Players that Help Plants to Grow
- New Chemical Catalyst for Biofuel Production Revealed
- Thale Cress Elucidates Plant-Pathogen Model System
- Effect of Bt Corn on Decomposer Communities in Soil
- Comparison of GM and Native Mustard's Allerginicity
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Fighting Vitamin A Deficiency Using Engineered Probiotic Bacteria
- BIOTECH 2013
- 2nd Biotechnology World Congress
- Realizing the Value of Plant Natural Products from Metabolic Engineering to Biorefining
- CIAT Launches Book Summarizing the Application of Cassava Research Through the Years
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: