Food Security Discussed in HanoiSeptember 26, 2012
More than 500 delegates from 150 countries and 20 international organizations gathered at the 2nd Conference on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change in Hanoi,Vietnam. They called for more efforts to develop climate-smart agriculture that will ensure food security.
Speaking at the opening plenary session, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Cao Duc Phat stressed the increased negative impacts of climate change on agriculture production, especially in regions with adverse natural conditions.
"We are facing unprecedented challenges in the context of over-exploitation of natural resources, increased negative impacts of drought, flooding, salinity, a rising sea level and other environmental consequences that are directly caused by humans," Phat said. "This requires countries to come up with smart and comprehensive policies in developing agriculture and integrating them in their national strategic plan."
Climate-smart agriculture includes proven practical techniques such as mulching, inter-cropping, no-till farming, improved grazing and better water management.
Check out http://english.vov.vn/Home/Food-security-under-discussion-in-Hanoi/20129/141704.vov for the full article.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO, France Vow Partnership for Food Security
- CGIAR CEO Talks About the Org's Way Forward
- Cameroon Partners with IITA to Improve Agriculture
- CIMMYT, IITA Conduct Training on Seed Production and Field Trials Management
- Twisting of Plants' Roots Prompted by Barriers, Researchers Find
- Bacillus Subtilis not Always a Good Bacterium, Scientists Reveal
- Scientists Uncover How Plants Create Benzoic Acid
- AMA Reiterates Support for GM Technology
- Filipino Student Writers to Feature Crop Biotech in Campus Journalism Contest
- GAIN Report on Philippine Biotech
- Brookes Presents Global Impact of Biotech Crops to Indonesian Stakeholders
- IFAD Funds Root and Tuber Crops R & D Program in Asia-Pacific Region
- Food Security Discussed in Hanoi
- Scientists to Sequence, Analyze Soil DNA
- Modern DNA Technology Applied on 19th Century Potatoes
- A Draft Genome Sequence of Nicotina benthamiana to Enhance Molecular Plant-Microbe Biology Research
- Plant and Animal Genome XXI Conference
- Korea Hosts 10th International Congress on Plant Molecular Biology
- Biotech Communication Chapters on Thailand, Malaysia and Bangladesh
Subscribe to CBU: