Application of CRISPR-Cas9 on Allotetraploid RapeseedOctober 4, 2017
CRISPR-Cas9 has been a valuable tool for research and has been widely applied to different plant species. However, this method is still not widely used for the allotetraploid rapeseed (Brassica napus), an important oilseed crop. Huazhong Agricultural University researchers, led by Hong Yang, examined the mutation efficiency of the CRISPR-Cas9 method for 12 genes. The team also determined the pattern, specificity and heritability of these gene modifications in B. napus.
The team found that the average mutation frequency for a single-gene targeted sgRNA in the T0 generation is 65.3%. Homozygotes were also readily found in T0 plants. A total of 48.2% of the gene mutations, including homozygotes, bi-alleles, and heterozygotes, were stably inherited in the next generation (T1) without any new mutations or reversions. Moreover, no mutation was found in the off-target sites among the T0 plants.
These results demonstrate that CRISPR-Cas9 can be an efficient tool for creating targeted genome modifications at multiple loci in rapeseed.
For more on this promising study, read the article in Scientific Reports.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- GM Wheat Used to Make Bread with Less Gluten
- Uganda Biotechnology Research Boosted by New Facility
- OFAB-Kenya Recognizes Excellence in Science Journalism
- Uganda President Calls for GM Crops Adoption in Africa
- Cagayan De Oro Stakeholders Discuss Philippine Biotech and Biosafety Regulations
- Scientists Decode the Genome of Fall Armyworm
- European Seed Association Puts Plant Breeding Innovation at the Heart of a Sustainable EU Agri-food Policy
- Overexpression of OsERF48 Enhances Root Growth and Drought Tolerance in Rice
- MuMADS1 and MaOFP1 Regulate Fruit Qualities in the Tomato Ovate Mutant
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Application of CRISPR-Cas9 on Allotetraploid Rapeseed
- Scientists Develop Hyper Accurate Cas9 for CRISPR
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Overexpressed CYP85A3 Confers Enhanced Biomass Production in Transgenic Plants
From the BICs
- Cagayan De Oro Info Officers Learn about Biotech Social Media Campaign
- Conference of Cereal Biotechnology and Breeding
- 20 Years of Bt Maize in Spain
Subscribe to CBU: