MuMADS1 and MaOFP1 Regulate Fruit Qualities in the Tomato Ovate MutantOctober 4, 2017
Fruit ripening and quality are known to be strictly regulated by transcription factors. Results of a previous study indicated that banana MADS-box protein named MuMADS1 interacts with an ovate family protein, named MaOFP1, to regulate banana fruit ripening. The team of Juhua Liu from Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences used a genetic transformation and transcriptional characterization to investigate the role of MuMADS1 and MaOFP1 in the regulation of fruit quality in tomato.
Co-expression of MuMADS1 and MaOFP1 in the ovate mutant could rescue the fruit shape and inferior qualities related to fruit firmness, soluble solids and sugar content. The number of differentially expressed genes (DEGs) between the wildtype and ovate tomatoes was 1,395, with 883 upregulated and 512 downregulated genes. However, the numbers of DEGs gradually decreased when the ovate tomato was transformed using MuMADS1 and MaOFP1.
Expression of genes related to starch and sucrose metabolism were also different when MuMADS1 and MaOFP1 were integrated into ovate. Metabolic genes involved in cell wall biosynthesis were also upregulated in the wildtype, explaining the firmer texture and lower sugar contents in the ovate fruit.
These results show that MuMADS1 and MaOFP1 are co-regulators of fruit quality.
For more information, read the article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- GM Wheat Used to Make Bread with Less Gluten
- Uganda Biotechnology Research Boosted by New Facility
- OFAB-Kenya Recognizes Excellence in Science Journalism
- Uganda President Calls for GM Crops Adoption in Africa
- Cagayan De Oro Stakeholders Discuss Philippine Biotech and Biosafety Regulations
- Scientists Decode the Genome of Fall Armyworm
- European Seed Association Puts Plant Breeding Innovation at the Heart of a Sustainable EU Agri-food Policy
- Overexpression of OsERF48 Enhances Root Growth and Drought Tolerance in Rice
- MuMADS1 and MaOFP1 Regulate Fruit Qualities in the Tomato Ovate Mutant
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Application of CRISPR-Cas9 on Allotetraploid Rapeseed
- Scientists Develop Hyper Accurate Cas9 for CRISPR
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Overexpressed CYP85A3 Confers Enhanced Biomass Production in Transgenic Plants
From the BICs
- Cagayan De Oro Info Officers Learn about Biotech Social Media Campaign
- Conference of Cereal Biotechnology and Breeding
- 20 Years of Bt Maize in Spain
Subscribe to CBU: