Overexpression of OsERF48 Enhances Root Growth and Drought Tolerance in RiceOctober 4, 2017
The AP2/ERF family is a plant-specific transcription factor associated with developmental processes and stress tolerance. The team of Harin Jung from Seoul National University in South Korea studied the drought-inducible OsERF48 gene.
When OsERF48 was overexpressed in rice either via a root-specific (ROXOsERF48) or whole-plant (OXOsERF48) expression, transgenic plants showed a longer and denser roots compared to the controls. When plants were grown on a 40% polyethylene glycol-infused medium under drought conditions, ROXOsERF48 plants showed a more vigorous root growth than OXOsERF48 and the control plants. Moreover, the ROXOsERF48 plants exhibited higher grain yield than OXOsERF48 and control plants under field-drought conditions.
The team hypothesized the involvement of 20 drought-related genes associated with OsERF48 expression. These genes involved in stress signalling and drought responses, including OsCML16, a key gene in calcium signalling during abiotic stress, which was revealed to be a direct target of OsERF48. These results demonstrated that OsERF48 regulates OsCML16, which enhances root growth and drought tolerance.
For more information, read the article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- GM Wheat Used to Make Bread with Less Gluten
- Uganda Biotechnology Research Boosted by New Facility
- OFAB-Kenya Recognizes Excellence in Science Journalism
- Uganda President Calls for GM Crops Adoption in Africa
- Cagayan De Oro Stakeholders Discuss Philippine Biotech and Biosafety Regulations
- Scientists Decode the Genome of Fall Armyworm
- European Seed Association Puts Plant Breeding Innovation at the Heart of a Sustainable EU Agri-food Policy
- Overexpression of OsERF48 Enhances Root Growth and Drought Tolerance in Rice
- MuMADS1 and MaOFP1 Regulate Fruit Qualities in the Tomato Ovate Mutant
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Application of CRISPR-Cas9 on Allotetraploid Rapeseed
- Scientists Develop Hyper Accurate Cas9 for CRISPR
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Overexpressed CYP85A3 Confers Enhanced Biomass Production in Transgenic Plants
From the BICs
- Cagayan De Oro Info Officers Learn about Biotech Social Media Campaign
- Conference of Cereal Biotechnology and Breeding
- 20 Years of Bt Maize in Spain
Subscribe to CBU: