Flax PDCT Genes Increase Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid in Yeast and ArabidopsisJuly 8, 2015
Flax (Linum usitatissimum L.) seed oil is enriched in α-linolenic acid. This polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) determines the quality of flax seed oil in food and industrial applications. The enzyme phosphatidylcholine diacylglycerol cholinephosphotransferase (PDCT) has been shown to play an important role in PUFA accumulation in Arabidopsis thaliana seeds.
A research team from the University of Alberta in Canada, led by Randall J. Weselake, isolated and characterized two PDCT genes from flax, LuPDCT1 and LuPDCT2. Seed-specific expression of the flax PDCT genes in A. thaliana without its PDCT gene, AtROD1, resulted in increases in PUFAs. PUFA levels also increased in Saccharomyces cerevisiae expressing the flax PDCTs.
The novel PDCT genes from flax were capable of increasing PUFA levels in yeast and transgenic A. thaliana seeds. These indicate that the flax PDCTs would be useful for engineering oil crops to increase PUFA levels for applications in human food, animal feed, and industrial products.
For more on the study, read the full article on BMC Biotechnology.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Trends in Global Approvals of Biotech Crops (1992–2014)
- OECD & FAO Report Projects Stronger Agricultural Production, Lower Prices in 2015 to 2024
- White House to Review Rules for GM Crops, Seeks Public Comments
- Gene Discovered for Better Rice
- Research Team Identifies Fungal Endophyte Gene for Disease Suppression
- Pakistan Senate Ag Committee Approves Amendments to Seed Act
- India's PM Modi Calls for Second Green Revolution
- Reason Behind Rose Scent Discovered
- Germany, a Major Consumer of GE Products says GAIN Report
- Transgenic Tobacco Plants Exhibit Increased Production of Wax Esters
- Flax PDCT Genes Increase Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid in Yeast and Arabidopsis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Heat Shock Proteins from Pyropia seriata Increase Heat Tolerance in Chlamydomonas
- Software Auto Corrects Disease-Causing Genes
- New Online Genetic Research Tool Developed
- Agricultural Bioscience International Conference 2015
Subscribe to CBU: