Global Scientific Community Stands Up for Golden RiceSeptember 25, 2013
Eleven eminent scientists around the world have co-authored an editorial focusing on Golden Rice. The article, titled Standing Up for GMOs, was published in September 20 edition of Science magazine. The editorial expresses outrage at the recent destruction of Golden Rice field trial in the Philippines by vandals. It also summarizes the extensive health consequences of vitamin A deficiency and the contribution that Golden Rice could make to addressing this problem the moment the biotech crop becomes available.
Scientists who wrote the article include Bruce Alberts, President Emeritus of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences; Roger Beachy, Wolf Prize laureate and President Emeritus of the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center in Montana, USA; Swapan Datta, Deputy Director General for Crop Science of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research in New Delhi, India; and Gurdev S. Khush, World Food Prize laureate, Japan Prize laureate, and former scientist at the International Rice Research Institute in Los Baños, Philippines.
Access the editorial at http://www.sciencemag.org/content/341/6152/1320.full.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- A Decade of Research Says GM Crops are Safe, Yet Debate Remains Intense
- Global Scientific Community Stands Up for Golden Rice
- Public Should be Made Aware of GM Application and Benefits, says Kenyan Governor
- Field Trials of Biotech Cowpea Begin in Ghana
- AGRA Unveils a Report on Status of Agriculture in Africa
- Climate Change and Abiotic Stress Workshop Held in Egypt
- Biologists Reveal Role of a Protein in Crop Traits Modification
- Grocery Manufacturers Association Launches Website on GM Food
- USDA Requests for Public Input on Agricultural Coexistence
- Biochemists Crack Nitrogen Fixation Code
- NAST Philippines' Statement on the Golden Rice Multiloc Trial Destruction
- US and Pakistan Partners in Disease Resistant Wheat Project
- Scientists Discover Mechanism Regulating Direction of Plant Cell Growth
- New Charity to Develop Under-Utilized Crops to Tackle Global Food Security
- Scientists Study Effects of Bt Brinjal on Rhizospheric Bacterial Community Structure
- Binding Characterization of Cry Proteins to the Brush Border Membrane Vesicles of Insect Pests
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Explain the Genetics of Smell
- Study Reveals Key Genes of Sandalwood
- IHC 2014 - ISHS/ProMusa Symposium
- 5th International Conference on Food Engineering and Biotechnology
- UNCTAD Trade and Environment Review 2013
- Biotech Trait Annual Updates
Subscribe to CBU: