NAST Philippines' Statement on the Golden Rice Multiloc Trial DestructionSeptember 25, 2013
The National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) Philippines released a statement regarding the anti-biotech groups' uprooting of Golden Rice plants under field trial in Camarines Sur last 8 August 2013. According to NAST, the disruption is "an act of sabotage of a lawfully and responsibly-conducted scientific experiment." The trials are being conducted for scientific inquiry and thus the incident disregards the hard work devoted towards finding results.
The field experiment in Camarines Sur is one of the 13 multilocational trials which started in 2012. At present field trials in nine locations have been completed and the results have shown that Golden Rice has no adverse effects on the environment. The sabotaged experiment in Camarines Sur could have been part of the third set of observations on the field performance of Golden Rice.
Golden Rice is genetically modified rice with increased beta carotene, a source of vitamin A.
Read NAST Philippines' statement at http://www.nast.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=451:nast-statement-on-golden-rice-trial-sabotage.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- A Decade of Research Says GM Crops are Safe, Yet Debate Remains Intense
- Global Scientific Community Stands Up for Golden Rice
- Public Should be Made Aware of GM Application and Benefits, says Kenyan Governor
- Field Trials of Biotech Cowpea Begin in Ghana
- AGRA Unveils a Report on Status of Agriculture in Africa
- Climate Change and Abiotic Stress Workshop Held in Egypt
- Biologists Reveal Role of a Protein in Crop Traits Modification
- Grocery Manufacturers Association Launches Website on GM Food
- USDA Requests for Public Input on Agricultural Coexistence
- Biochemists Crack Nitrogen Fixation Code
- NAST Philippines' Statement on the Golden Rice Multiloc Trial Destruction
- US and Pakistan Partners in Disease Resistant Wheat Project
- Scientists Discover Mechanism Regulating Direction of Plant Cell Growth
- New Charity to Develop Under-Utilized Crops to Tackle Global Food Security
- Scientists Study Effects of Bt Brinjal on Rhizospheric Bacterial Community Structure
- Binding Characterization of Cry Proteins to the Brush Border Membrane Vesicles of Insect Pests
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Explain the Genetics of Smell
- Study Reveals Key Genes of Sandalwood
- IHC 2014 - ISHS/ProMusa Symposium
- 5th International Conference on Food Engineering and Biotechnology
- UNCTAD Trade and Environment Review 2013
- Biotech Trait Annual Updates
Subscribe to CBU: