Experts Combine the Power of CRISPR and Spherical Nucleic Acids for TherapeuticsOctober 20, 2022
A group of scientists at Northwestern University developed a way to transform the Cas9 protein into a spherical nucleic acid (SNA) and load it with vital components for accessing an extensive range of tissue and cell types, as well as the intracellular compartments essential for gene editing. The research paper is published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.
The team was led by nanotechnology pioneer Chad Mirkin. The protein Cas9 used for CRISPR serves the core of the structure, with attached DNA strands to its surface to make a new type of SNA. The SNAs were pre-loaded with RNA that can perform gene editing and fused with peptides to control their ability to navigate compartmental barriers of the cell and maximizing efficiency. These SNAs, similar to other types, efficiently get through the cells without the use of transfection agents and exhibit high gene editing efficiency.
The combination of CRISPR gene editing and SNA has the potential to transform the landscape of medical therapeutics.
Read the news article in Northwestern Now.
You might also like:
- Pocket K No. 54: Plant Breeding Innovation: CRISPR-Cas9
- How CRISPR Helps Mitigate the Effects of Climate Change
- Researchers Turn to Cell-free Biotechnology to Accelerate COVID-19 Therapeutics
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
Research and Tools
- Scientists Use CRISPR to Turn Pennycress into an Oilseed Crop
- French Experts Urge Using Genome Editing and Plant Biotech to Address Climate Change
- Targetted Editing of Bacterial Leaf Blight Susceptible Gene in Rice
- Alzheimer's Disease Research Advances with CRISPR Minipigs
- Experts Combine the Power of CRISPR and Spherical Nucleic Acids for Therapeutics
Policy Considerations and Approvals
- Regulatory Frameworks Among Factors that Affect Genome Editing Adoption, According to Experts
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (January 25, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to CBU: