Green Super Rice is ComingJanuary 21, 2011
Through the efforts of scientists from the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences and the International Rice Research Institute, farmers will soon take hold of Green Super Rice, the rice developed for harsh growing conditions. Green Super Rice is a combination of more than 250 various rice varieties and hybrids adapted to tough growing conditions like drought and low agricultural inputs. More types of Green Super Rice with other combined traits are already in the pipeline. National agricultural agencies of key rice-growing countries are currently testing and developing Green Super Rice.
Green Super Rice is an example of the vital components of a "Greener Revolution," one of the driving concepts of the Global Rice Science Partnership (GRiSP) which was launched during the 3rd International Rice Congress held last November 2010. GRiSP is a plan to improve international partnerships in rice research, its delivery, and impact that would also ensure that rice is grown in an environmentally sustainable way.
For more details, visit http://irri.org/news-events/media-releases/green-super-rice-is-coming.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Widespread Aflatoxin Contamination in Maize
- Rwanda Explores Late Blight Resistance in Irish Potato through Biotech
- NCSU Studies Disease Resistance in Corn
- Brazil Hits Historical High in GM Planting
- Scientists Complete Comprehensive Genetic Analysis of Domesticated Grape
- Danforth Center Researchers Study Opium's Atomic Structure
- University of Minnesota Introduces New Barley Variety with Improved Scab Resistance
- Labeling for Bio-Based Products
- Green Super Rice is Coming
- Bangladesh Government Supports Biotech R&D
- CSIRO Develops a New Breed of Young Scientists
- New Technology to Speed Up Pearl Millet Breeding
- Farmers in Spain to Plant Bt Maize Again
- EC: Guaranteeing GMO Safety Is Priority
- Nutritional Evaluation of GM Rice Expressing Human Lactoferrin Gene
- Transfer of Stripe Rust Resistance from Goatgrass to Bread Wheat
- Evaluating Potential of Borage in Bioremediation of Saline Soil
- 2nd International Conference on Biotechnology and Food Science
- USDA Borlaug Fellowship Program in India
- BioAsia 2011
- 2011 International Conference on Food Engineering and Biotechnology
- Socio-Economic Benefits of Bt Cotton in Burkina Faso in Video and Print
Subscribe to CBU: