Experts Boost Anthocyanin Content of Radish SproutsMay 18, 2022
Nanjing Agricultural University scientists investigated the impact of hemin treatment on anthocyanin production in radish sprouts. Their findings are reported in BMC Plant Biology.
Anthocyanins are plant pigments with enormous health benefits to humans. Thus, researchers continuously search for ways to improve the anthocyanin contents of plant foods. In a previous study, the researchers found that nitric oxide plays a positive role in the accumulation of anthocyanin in radish sprouts.
The researchers applied hemin, an inducer of heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1), to increase nitric oxide production. This resulted to significant expression of several structures and regulatory genes involved in anthocyanin production. Thus, the amount of anthocyanin in radish hypocotyls increased significantly. Furthermore, hemin treatment raised nitric oxide contents in radish sprouts, probably through enhancing nitrate reductase activity and Nitric Oxide-Associated 1 (NOA1) expression.
Read the research article in BMC Plant Biology.
You might also like:
- Researchers Discover the Negative Regulator of Anthocyanin in Cabbages
- Chinese Researchers Identify Gene for Engineering Anthocyanins in Plants
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used to Alter Anthocyanin Production in Black Rice
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Gene Drive Organisms: There is No One Size Fits All
- Gene Discovery Set to Improve Wheat Yields and Increase Protein Content by Up to 25%
- New Gene That Can Increase Yield in Wheat Identified by US Scientists
- Scientists Grow Plants in Soil from the Moon for the First Time
- China to Approve More GM Maize Varieties - Agri Ministry
- Structure of Plant Immunity Protein Revealed 25 Years After Discovery
- API5 Enhances Virus Resistance in Potatoes
- Experts Boost Anthocyanin Content of Radish Sprouts
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (August 10, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (August 10, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (July 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: